learning web design

lookingahead

Hello, I'm new here(if you didn't know that from my post count lol) well I came here to learn web design so I could work on my business as well as design for others. Well enough about my purpose here. I was wondering what yall would recommend to begin learning.

I'm working on learning HTML right now, since it is the basic form of web design. After I learn that I was going to learn CSS and Javascript since those seemed like the most used languages for design.

Do you think this is logical or should I learn some other language since I'm so new at this. I have a little experience with Visual Basic so I'm not a complete noob. Thank-you for your time. I look forward to learning as much as I can from this forum.

conor

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! I think html and css is a good start. Once you've done that you could try tackling javascript or PHP.

For learning HTML and CSS or PHP http://www.w3schools.com/ is a good site.

If your going for javascript i'd recommend using jQuery - a free javascript library which makes the language a lot easier for beginers and it's also used by a lot of web developers. Even google use it. http://jquery.com

lookingahead

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been using tizag.com for HTML, though I've heard many good things for w3schools. I'll probably be checking them out next, any recommendations for after I learn these three languages?

Faviankacerski

You can visit here entheosweb.com/website_design/design_ideas.asp and how-to-build-websites.com/ .... It will supply good help to learn basic things about web design.

Edge

If I was starting out I'd get something like Adobe Muse as it creates the HTML and CSS for you from a design. It may not be code made in heaven but it's a quick way of getting something in place.

lookingahead

Wow such great feedback from all of yall.

Which would be a better way to learn....tutorials/websites or reading books; or is a mixture better?

sdesign1: Thanks for the tip, thought I'd rather be able to code it all from the get go. I will pass the tip along though cause I know several others needing sites who don't want to code.