Learning HTML & CSS with Codecademy?

Pro

Has anyone used Codecademy to learn HTML and CSS?

Apparently you can learn Javascript, PHP, Ruby and other languages too. Does it cost anything?

notarypublic

I urged a friend to try it, as a guinea pig of sorts - semi-savvy computer user with no programming experience. It worked out pretty well for him - he went from being a bicycle courier to moving out of state for a pretty good computer job in California.

Your mileage may vary, but I've gone through most of the curriculum myself: I can vouch for quality of it. It won't teach you everything you need to know - but it's a great nudge in the right direction.

It's ok if it's challenging, having done some educating in web development I can say that I don't agree with how they teach every concept, and they have a habit of teaching you a bad habit or two for the sake of simplicity. Either you'll walk away from it feeling inspired to learn and build cool things, or you'll probably want to look at more structured learning to get started.

I'm not a fan of their playground environment they set up for you, in order to do the different lessons. If you want a playground for just practicing the new tools you've learned, check out CodePen.

Hope it helps, and best of luck! And of course, we're here to help you with any questions along the way :)

RDB

I would use Treehouse, Lynda.com or Nettuts or similar. Or even a good book from Amazon.