Late Payments from Clients ?

CellParade

Hi. I am having a problem getting my clients to pay on time.

I collect 50% up front and 50% at the end of the project. But i usually dont get paid for months after the job has been completed.

I guess that clients feels its not neccessary to pay the rest of the funds on time. This makes it hard to pay buisness expenses and as a result makes me shy away for the web design business.

Is there a more solid and secure payment structure i can use?
Is there a third party company that perhaps helps with this matter?

I need a way to make sure i get paid on time once the job is complete.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Thank you, :)

Ron T.

jnjc

Maybe something like put the site up on one of your sub-domains. Let the client QC it and once they are happy and pay then move it to their domain...

LouTheDesigner

The sub-domain idea always works well. But sometimes they want to keep making changes while its still on your sub-domain, and eventually you want to scream "Arghh! Please be satisfied so that i can have my space to myself!" lol.

I had this one client stop answering my phone calls and e-mails when he owed me a lot of money. I sent him a letter and invoice politely asking him to pay, explaining that I have given him a generous amount of time. I sent the letter certified mail so that he knew it was serious, and put "cc: [Insert random lawyer's name here], Esq." at the end of the letter.

He drove to my house to hand me my check the day after he got the letter.

Lou

mezangath

As loong as you have a contract binding the custumer to pay up you can always sell your invoice to companys that takes over that payment and gives you money up front.

I don't specifically know of any specific company for it. Though i found:
http://factoring.qlfs.com/

So you know what i'm talking about and what to look for :)

Juturnalia

Use clientexec. It's only $16 a month and it allows you to bill your clients with invoices and also alows you to do many other things. Such as support tickets, file management and a announcement system.

3dmagicaldesign

I recommend the subdomain strategy too, I usually charge 20% to start with a project and 80% when it is finished, it has worked for me very well.

I upload everything on my server and once the client approves it then I upload on client's domain.

If the client requests a lot of changes then try to make your developments with CMS, most of the time it saves a lot of time because it will allow your client to make the changes himself.

If you want a better way to ensure you will be paid before you start then I recommend you Elance.com

Act like the big guys act.

I have been in this business for a while, I make a living out of it and only 2 clients out of 170 did not pay me.

1. You need to be very firm in your words and you need to create a contract.
2.The website you will upload it to your own server
3.As you interchange emails with your clients always indicate that the website will be finished by such day and you will be sending them an invoice. Once the invoice is paid you will upload the site to their servers.

You need to show them that you are a professional web design company, you might be working off your kitchen table but they do not need to know that. Be strong in your words and confident and always indicate in your contract that there will be a series of revisions.

ADDITIONAL REVISSIONS WILL BE CHARGED!

Trust me dude, you should be collecting your payments not more than 2 days after you are done. DO NOT UPLAOD THE SITE TO YOUR CLIENT’S SERVER WITH OUT PAYMENT!

Pedro E. Montero
www.designedbylucas.com

Hi. I am having a problem getting my clients to pay on time.

I collect 50% up front and 50% at the end of the project. But i usually dont get paid for months after the job has been completed.

I guess that clients feels its not neccessary to pay the rest of the funds on time. This makes it hard to pay buisness expenses and as a result makes me shy away for the web design business.

Is there a more solid and secure payment structure i can use?
Is there a third party company that perhaps helps with this matter?

I need a way to make sure i get paid on time once the job is complete.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Thank you, :)

Ron T.