Keep Flash going strong?

ddt

Do you thing that flash has the capability with CS5 to keep up in the mainstream? Does Apple make good points? Google and Adobe team up, will that make a future in the flash world?

I think that with the release coming for Flash 10.1 able to play full flash on mobile devices including the awesome Android smart phones,, especially the Droid by Motorola. Flash will now have stepped up into the lime light once again. Let me know what you think. I am a big fan of flash and believe that it can and will maintain a strong presence.

How about you?

LouTheDesigner

I thought Jobs made some great points regarding the issue, and I'm a Flash fanatic:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

I think what he is trying to do is push companies (and their sites) to embrace open standards. I often get asked, "What do they have to lose by allowing Flash?" It's a good question, but I always respond with Apple having a moral obligation to push things forward. It may seem like restricting a technology would do the opposite, but if you read the article by Jobs, I think he makes some REALLY great points.

I develop for mobile devices, and wouldn't dream of using Flash -- mobile sites are supposed to be simplistic (they really should be). People access sites through their mobile devices for one reason, to get content ASAP. They don't want to wait through a 15 second flash animation when all they want is a companies phone number! This is especially true when in a car. If you need the content rich version of a site, wait till you get home! I don't want to be driving next to someone watching a Flash animation.

And Jobs is right, H.264 is a breeze to deal with using Adobe's Media Encoder, and doesn't use as much battery life as a Flash movie

Well there's my 2 cents,

-Lou

ddt

I agree that mobile sites should be simplistic, and fast loading. So HTML is fine. But how about apps, or games, or even a banner? Can't we all just get along?

LouTheDesigner

I agree that mobile sites should be simplistic, and fast loading. So HTML is fine. But how about apps, or games, or even a banner? Can't we all just get along?

I'm sorry to have to use this quote (no offense here), but "cry me a river." Jobs elucidated that the numerous amount of iPhone Apps is proof that mobile sites survive quite well without Flash (with apps and games, etc). And as I've said before, I LOVE FLASH. But he is right. Let banners and games be created by animated .gifs and Javascript. I've done this for years with ease.

What do you care about more: advancing technology, or the 12-year-old's need to play a game on his/her favorite site? BTW, ask them how their battery life is after they finish their game.

Sorry, but I think you're priorities are not aligned with the priorities of technological development. Go ahead and sloth, at length, your wanting of a "can't we all just get along" attitude, but truth be told: technology survives in the US because of its capitalistic nature.

Your rebuttal is blind and inexperienced. You give me the awful impression, I hate to have to say it, of someone who's never read any argument against their position, EVER.

-Lou