Internet explorer layouts.

cyjetsu

Everyone knows IE and microsoft dont like CSS for example:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/web2explorer/?p=254

***quotes:***
"Microsoft doesn’t plan to fully support the latest CSS standard in IE 7.0. Instead of using well-established Web standards, IE 7.0 will continue to foist proprietary technologies on Web developers, forcing them to choose between two competing ways of creating Web sites. […]"
***end of quote***

What I dont understand is what microsoft and IE want us to use for layouts instead of CSS, tables? I am a novice designer and would love to know what else I can use for layouts besides css and tables that is more IE complient.
I love CSS but IE is forcing me to conform to its own standards.
I understand that microsoft pushs a lot of its own ASP data bases and other functional languages but I dont know of any layout languages microsoft is pushing for the web.
I hope you understand me when I mean functional languages such as javascritpt and php that carry out non visual functions, and css is a layout language to me, as it is visual only.

So again my main question, what does microsoft and IE want us to use instead of CSS for layouts? Please someone tell me. Anything will do.
Should I be researching xml? I dont know where to start......

StephanieCordray

Refuse to upgrade to IE7? Heck, I don't know, either. xml is not a bad idea but still... what's the point of spending a year really learning css if you can't use it in the future.