Image Rotator Banner Issue

rumrum

Hello everyone i'm new arround here and i hope to be arround, because it is a nice forum. I hope you can help me on this issue i had .

I work on sharepoint, so i basically have html, js and css capabilities.

I currently have an image rotator banner for announcements wich works over a XML file like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Banners>

<Banner>
<Source></Source>
<Link></Link>
<TimeDelay>7</TimeDelay>
</Banner>
<Banner>
<Source></Source>
<Link></Link>
<TimeDelay>7</TimeDelay>
</Banner>
</Banners>

The site is accessed by thousands of people everyday. That means it has to load every image one at a time for each user which makes my SP site dramatically slow down its performance.

I would like to see if there's a script or a way to improve my current one for making the images store in a cache and pulling them only once per user ( I already tried Jquery but i haven't make the tests yet)

Also without the need of any specific software since i need to make it simple because i won't be the only one posting announcement images there.

So many thanks in advance!

chrishirst

Staff member
The solution is to use a better database than a flat XML file. Even an Access .mdb would provide far superior performance than a flat file EVER will.

I would like to see if there's a script or a way to improve my current one for making the images store in a cache and pulling them only once per user
Caching is a client side setting, as is using javascript.

chrishirst

Staff member
Oh and SharePoint really isn't meant to be used for a public webserver. It is really for corporate Intranets.