How many target keywords should a site have?

isismedia

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me How many target keywords should a site have?

Waiting for nice reply...

Regards,
Madhu

lukc22

Hi guys,

Regards,
Madhu

You should really target and attack 1 keyword... You would rather dominate 1 keyword phrase and be on the top of that 1... If you are page 5 on 4 different keywords, then you aren't anywhere since most searchers do not go past page 2... So I always pick the most searched with least competition keyword and optimize my website around that... If I rank on other keywords as well, then its a bonus.... Hope it helps

GeraldC

I guess you should concentrate first to 2- 3 keyword to get keyword popularity is quick way.. You should always create live links for good result.

bluecollar01

I think it depends on how big your site is - in terms of pages of content. I'm sure you'll have some overlap but try to optimize each page for 2-3 key terms. For example if you have an accounting site you might target "cpa geo-local", "accountant geo-local", etc. for the home page but each service page could be targeted for that particular service - i.e. "tax services geo-local". Hope this helps.

stephanieM

If you are just starting to optimize your site then concentrate on one keyword first, take a little research about the most search keyword for your niche

dearali

depends on how much traffic a single keyword can bring.Otherwise you have to target atleast 8-10 keywords (niches around main keyword) .Keep niche keywords in mind while building sub pages and optimize accordingly.

MadTalentDesign

2-4 keywords are good. use those keywords in your title, h1 tag, and content. maybe even as a link at the bottom of your page.

SEOArbiter

There's no set number of keywords to have within your website. When you are first starting out, you'll want to focus on only a few keywords and establish 'link equity' to those. This will help your rankings more quickly.

geoiriciuc

First of all it's also a matter of 'can' because although you would like to target 40 keywords if your site is very small you may find it impossible. Second of all, I think one should target the keywords that would bring him most income/product or service sold.

BMA

Banned
You should have one to four target keywords per page. It's not a per site thing. It's a per page thing. More importantly, if you don't have a huge internet marketing budget, you should consider targeting phrases instead of words. It's much more likely to win a particular collection of words such as Home Health Care Brochures versus trying to win Brochures.

Kate V

Hi guys,

Regards,
Madhu

it depends on how large you plan to go with the site. If you have several primary terms it might be better to start off with smaller sites that are highly focused on key phrases you're targeting.

However if you have a larger long-term goal that encompasses multiple highly competitive terms you may want to build a larger site with landing pages that link to highly relevant internal pages that are also focused on your primary key terms.

This structure has been successful for many years and I don't see it changing. Right now you really need to decide what resources you have at hand and time versus how much time you're willing to wait for results.

You can get quick results by targeting one key phrase per website. However the content management of websites can become very burdensome and so you may go with one site and deploy keywords as you have time.

This is more of a time management and content management question that an SEO question.

cizzlingeast

You should really target and attack 1 keyword... You would rather dominate 1 keyword phrase and be on the top of that 1... If you are page 5 on 4 different keywords, then you aren't anywhere since most searchers do not go past page 2... So I always pick the most searched with least competition keyword and optimize my website around that... If I rank on other keywords as well, then its a bonus.... Hope it helps
You have shared some very nice info with us ...as it is good to know for beginner that we should target only one big keyword.

Quasha

well, the most recommended number keywords per page is 10, 3 here are major and the rest are minor keywords.

thewebexec

Its fine to throw in a few, but as suggested, it is best to really concentrate on just 1 or 2.
The hardest part is sitting down, and figuring out which one that'll be. It won't always be the obvious one. Eg. getting the keyword SEO to perform is an absolute nightmare.

BMA

Banned
It occurs to me that I should clarify my earlier statement. When I said you should target one to four keywords per page, I was thinking anything over 2 would be a search phrase, not three independent words. For instance. If you want to win the SERP for "brochures", that would be a hard fight. But if you want to win the SERP for "Physical Therapy Brochures," that's a more attainable goal. "Physical Therapy Brochures" would be the three words for which I might try to optimize one page.

rubymedicalcenter

You can target 1 to 3 main keywords and as many long tail keywords as appropriate. Today long content which is of a very high quality performs better and many long tail keywords are automatically integrated in such cases.