How do you get inspired when designing a website?

smoovo

Mostly by knowing the subject and purpose of this website. Or, you can search for well designed websites (doesn't have to be same subject), and get inspired from it's components.

You can get idea for your menu from one website, and background idea from another... You also can look for some component online, and see amazing examples. There are tons of menu examples, tables, images, borders... Work with Photoshop and try to hold it all together.

Most of the time you will upgrade something you already saw by other website. ;)

- Good Luck.

meester

I'm really sort of new at web designing, and actually still learning the fundamentals but here is an awesome place for design inspiration - as well as many many others.
http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/
check it out, theres a column on the right a few scrolls down for different categories. Hope you like :)

annemendez

What i normally do is i look for websites, the good-looking ones, to inspire me and at the same time get some ideas. It's not just getting inspired this time, it's also about learning.

Timothy Scotch

Hello there,

I am a fairly analytical person so I get my drive from realising the end goal of the website. Without knowing that, I can't design a plan to get to that end goal and am thus....highly unmotivated.

I presume this is just human nature however, although some creative people seem to be driven by other things than the end goal. While this can produce great stuff, it's an unfortunate attribute to posses when operating in the business world.

What also helps immensely for me is there is personal gain to be had from the end result. This is I guess...why capitalism works (well...lol if consider capitalism a working system).

As for inspiration. When ever I am at a good website or I see good copy, I bookmark it. I then have a massive list of stuff to browse through when I need ideas. Although I seem to always have too many of those anyway :|

sitebuilder

I'm actually very bad at this. I can take any picture and recreate it on a screen no problem but when it comes to actual design I really don't have that creative spark very often. I do know what looks good but coming up with it from scratch is very difficult for me. I usually do lots of browsing and try to come up with a mixture of similar site ideas or if I am building the site for another person I try to pick their brain as much as I can to get a grasp on what they want.