How come the "standard" menu isn't located on the side?

Sabo

Maybe it's just the websites that I tend to visit, but it seems most websites have the menu centered on the site, either below or "inside" the logo. Given that the width of computer screens are bigger than the height (especially today with so many wide screens out there), why not put the menu on the side to allow more content to be shown?

I'm aware that it ultimately depends on the design of the page and that it is in somde cases are more suited to have the menu centered in the middle. Still, so many websites seem to have "wasted" space on the sides, for instance, like http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/874787/ for instance.

For mobile phone browsing I suppose it's a better solution to have the menu top/middle, but that can easily be arranged.

So, is it more common to have the menu centered in the top/middle than on the sides, and if so, why?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
probably because left aligned websites are not very common these days and a left aligned menu would probably look unbalanced on a centered website.

still there's nothing stopping you from making one. it's entirely up to you...

Sabo

Yah, but WHY isn't it common? I'm well aware that one should think carefully about deviating from a "standard", but I can't figure out why it isn't a standard.

You mentioned a "look unbalanced on a centered website". I guess that why be the reason why. Now I just need to know what you mean by "centered website"? =)

chrishirst

Staff member
"centered websites" = " websites seem to have "wasted" space on the sides"

There isn't a "standard" layout.

AsheSkyler

I'm fond of both navigation layouts, but I prefer a fixed width site with deadspace on the ends (especially if they are like Blizzard and have good artwork) rather than a site that sprawls out over two-and-a-half feet wide like Wikipedia. Reading Wikipedia articles on a maximized browser is not pleasant.

amalayer

probably because left aligned websites are not very common these days and a left aligned menu would probably look unbalanced on a centered website.

still there's nothing stopping you from making one. it's entirely up to you...

I so agree with this statement. Although it is uncommon but definitely it is existing.