Hey! Need som guidance

Haqqan

Hey! I'm 17 years old and I've been trying to learn web design for around two years now. I consider myself good in photoshop and right now I can make nice designs and putting them on the web using Imageready slicing and basic stuff in dreamweaver. I know html and can make a functional, good looking website.

We are having a subject in school where we are going to start a new company for one year, so I figured I would try to make a company to sell websites. I already know 2-3 companies that would pay me to do their homepages (very small companies) but I don't know if my skills are enough to make my own small business. I've tried to learn php but it's very hard to learn over the internet. Is it ok to use free scripts when you sell the homepage as long as you don't take credit for the php scripts?

I'm just thinking maybe a news publishing script and an image gallery is enough seeing as I will most likely just sell to very small companies, and for a very small fee.

Also, I'm using iframes right now on most pages because I find it more handy than doing the pages page by page, but a friend of mine that's more skileld than me told me I can't sell pages that are made with Iframes, it's a very outdated method, is he right? I just don't see the point not using them :)

So.. anyone got some tips? Where do I go from here? :) Thanks in advance.

Vanish Design

I'd advise you to go to the library and get a book on PHP. The include statement alone has changed the way I work. Learning how to work with a content management system would be something really useful to learn as well.

adx

I've tried to learn php but it's very hard to learn over the internet. Is it ok to use free scripts when you sell the homepage as long as you don't take credit for the php scripts?

That's definitely okay. People put their scripts on the web for a reason, which is so that others can use them. Come to think of it, that's actually what I do ;)

PHP is a bit more complicated than regular old Html, but after a while you'll get to a point when you'll just go aaah, that's how it works! The way I learned PHP was to stare at a piece of code until I figured it out. I'm a bit strange that way. If you stare at it a while it should become more logical, i.e. it gets easier.

ms2134

WARNING!

I-Frames are very bad for search engine optimization. They can give bad rankings to your site.

Using scripts is fine providing that somewhere shows credit, although i do not think that a company would like that.

Do not forget that you shall also need reliable and affordable hosting.

~ Mike