help with homepage login

TillDeath

I'm working on dreamweaver cs5, making a site and I'm brand new to this. I found a web template that I wanted to use and I'm stuck at how to create the login commands or whatever using the style sheet on the template. heres what i have so far: www.tilldeath-creations.tk/homepage.html . I'm still working on the other pages so nothing works yet.

Last edited:
Are you asking how to process user logins? You should have a data base and probably some PHP scripts for that. Maybe another member has a reference for some available public domain scripts.

CaldwellYSR

Like DesignerBill said, if you're wanting to handle user logins, you're going to need a secure database and PHP. Since you say you're "brand new" to this, I wouldn't suggest looking into something so big yet but if you're set and determined you'll need to learn php and mysql.

TillDeath

thanks. guys ill definately study up on php and mysql. thats really all i needed to know. Do I do the database through the host server site or through dreamweaver though? Oh, and I'm definately up for taking this on, haha. I've had no lessons or training on html but as you can see, the sites turning out pretty good so far. I'm just excited i got it online. Now for the hard parts...

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might consider using a CMS. Wordpress and Joomla, for example, both have built-in user login systems.

TillDeath

Just trying to make it to where i can have members sections for the site and for the login script, that already came with the template, to work. I think the other guys answered my question tho. I just need to learn php and mysql to create a user database. Unless you have a simpler way....?

DOAWebDesigns

The login should work fine.

You might consider using a CMS. Wordpress and Joomla, for example, both have built-in user login systems.

will these work with a login script thats already in place on my homepage? Or is that something totally different?

Yes they should work just fine. You can theme the login on either CMS using a plugin and some css. For the most part your theme looks fairly easy to port over to either one you choose. For beginners I suggest using WordPress, their codex is and file structure is easier to follow.

TillDeath

ok, so i downloaded wordpress and uploaded it to my web server and created a separate database on myphpadmin for it. now i need to know what to do to make the login system work. I assume I'll need to make a registration page? How would i associate that with the wordpress plugin? And then i also assume that i need to make a user restriction page and actually restrict all of the pages using dreamweaver? what is the code to make the error messages appear when users enter the wrong info? I think i have somewhat of an idea of how this works but i work as a diesel mechanic for a living so this all new to me, but I'm a pretty quick learner and started this to challenge myself...as you can see it's giving me a headache.