First website ever- homepage review

dcto

Hi all! I have coded a lot in C (and variations of C), Java, etc. but never HTML or CSS so I decided to give it a shot. To begin, I am throwing together mock-ups of my homepage on a graphic design program. I have uploaded 6 of them here: http://imgur.com/qxijIem,TTYrKfk,z0oy0j3,AajuKK3,D2vewOK,rPt6qc5#0 and would REALLY like some advice.

1 is really basic and 5 is not complete, but I feel like both have potential. Either way, advice on any/all of these would be REALLY appreciated!

chrishirst

Staff member
I would go for design 2 BUT

Lose the paragraphs of text, they should be on an "About Me" document. just have links to the documents that you want visitors to read.

5. Is more suited to a "Metro" look and feel for 'touch' screens rather than a website UI

1. is ideal is you want the website message to be more important than the 'design'.

JMCDesigner

I'd develop 1 and 3 further, based on the topic of 'Management Consultant'. Keep it quite clean, corporate and to the point. There's a lot of things I would work on with them, some examples might be to add a profile pic of yourself? Use more than one font colour to emphasis important parts of text. You can play it safe with shades of grey. I would differentiate your text link colour to your body text colour too - to make things more clear of what is and what isn't navigation.

It's not massively clear what you do, are you a management consultant, or a programmer? Business analyst? What is Queen's commerce? I think you need to focus on your main skill, and demonstrate what makes you different/unique to all the other programmers/management consultants out there. If you want to focus on more than one then you'd be better creating a seperate site for each. That way you can demonstrate your skills in each more clearly and be more focused for each.

dcto

OK thanks! I appreciate the advice from both of you.

~~I've made changes so this is void now~~