Dreamweaver Layers

alionline83

Hi All,
I am new to website designing in general and dreamweaver in particular. I am trying to develop a very simple static website. I think best way to add text and images on page is to use Layers and thats what I am doing. I am designing this page at 800X600 pixels and I want to be centered when someone has higher resolution. Problem is that I have navigation panel on left of my page and my layers arent in middle of the browser window i.e. they are aligned slightly to the right. Now it looks alright at 800X600 but at higher resolution, page centers itself and my layers lose their original position. I want to align layers to the table/page not to the browser window. If I left align the page, this problem is solved but at higher resolutions, left aligned page looks ugly. I hope I explained my question correctly. Please let me know if anyone knows the solution.

here is the page. I am using free webhosting so advertising is also causing vertical distortion. http://www.muslimtents.com/themuslim/roadtotaqwa/index.htm

thank you very much

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many things wrong here.

1. Dont use psd to html.
2. Dont use dreamweaver “layers“

Once you dont use either you can move forward...

alionline83

Many things wrong here.

1. Dont use psd to html.
2. Dont use dreamweaver “layers“

Once you dont use either you can move forward...

Thank you very much for quick reply. It seems as if I have to startover again. I think I can deal with first point but layers are most commonly used feature in webdesigning, arent they? actually I dont care if they are. I just need a solution. So I have tried using tables alone but dreamweaver is so limited in terms of text editing. text looks ugly and placement is hard to control. I searched for a solution and someone recommended layers. Layers are much easier to position etc but again these problems.

also what is the alternate to psd to html? does it mean that I cannot design web pages in photoshop?

I am so sorry for stupid questions and thank you for your time.

Ali

CaldwellYSR

Thank you very much for quick reply. It seems as if I have to startover again. I think I can deal with first point but layers are most commonly used feature in webdesigning, arent they? actually I dont care if they are. I just need a solution. So I have tried using tables alone but dreamweaver is so limited in terms of text editing. text looks ugly and placement is hard to control. I searched for a solution and someone recommended layers. Layers are much easier to position etc but again these problems.

also what is the alternate to psd to html? does it mean that I cannot design web pages in photoshop?

I am so sorry for stupid questions and thank you for your time.

Ali

Everything Phreaddee said plus... don't use Dreamweaver in anything but code view... As for photoshop you can definitely "design" in photoshop but that should just be like a drawing that you would look at when you're writing your code. You shouldn't be using most of the images (with the exception of some background tileables and maybe some buttons here and there)

alionline83

Everything Phreaddee said plus... don't use Dreamweaver in anything but code view... As for photoshop you can definitely "design" in photoshop but that should just be like a drawing that you would look at when you're writing your code. You shouldn't be using most of the images (with the exception of some background tileables and maybe some buttons here and there)
and

Short answer to all those questions is css.

Thank you very much. It seems as if I was following totally wrong approach. Thank you again. I will work on your suggestions.

Walter Warner

Its ok , I take you are new to web design. What I usually do in order to center the website I will create a Wrapper div. Then I give it a rule of automatic left and right margins. The website will center itself no matter what. Keep learning, and you will go far.

rosiebrown0

I think you should create pages in HTML and CSS...or if you want you can take suggestion from one of my client..gowebbaby.com....
it is a good web design company.