Dont know where to start

smyte

I am going to try to create a web site on my own. I have some basic knowledge but am going to try to get really hardcore. I want to have my site return data when the user imputs there ZIP code. I am assuming you need some type of database for that but have no idea which direction to go in. I would like to start doing my research and planing now before I really start getting into building the site. Please point me in the general direction.

Smyte

Wickedself

I think you should take a look into Google Maps. I am not sure but I think that they do something of this sort. I mean enter a ZIP code or city or country name and the map of that place is shown.

smyte

I am talking more about like put in your zip code and get a list of local pizza places or something like that.

smyte

Ok. I guess I need to install a PHP application. Can I do this on my desktop or do I need to be running on a server? What are my options if I dont have access to a server? Also what data base programs do you suggest to use? Is access ok or do I need something better?

Vivid

If your going to have a online website that does this than the database is going to have to be server side. Databases can easily be set up via most hosting company's like Godaddy or Hostgator. Then your going to need to know some programming or maybe find a script that does what you need. Look under PHP "Hypertext Preprocessor" - its a server-side scripting language .

octapulse

There must be an easier way to pull this off than what im thinking. Imagine if you had to write a javascript "if statement" for every single zip code in the US! Talk about some work! :eek:

vilen3

http://www.flashfactory.com

They offer a variety of flash templates, since most people can't use Flash. You get to customize it urself, and its really easy but looks like to paid a web programmer to do it for you.

Its really affordable and totally worth it, I used it to make my MMA website

smyte

I am looking to actually get a site with the same function of this section of a site. I think that after doing my research I will take me much longer than I would like to get this going. What would be a fair price to pay to have this site fully designed? I can impute all the data into the database as long as it is set up, I just need someone to make it all functional. Here is the site.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/?nid=roll_housesenvote