Designing your own CMS

andrei.petrov

Hey guys,

I'm very new here. I'm a Product Manager at Soft Gravity working on building a new CMS targeting web designers.
I am curious from your experience with different CMSes, what do you like most about them, and what features would you improve upon?

While some of the tools out there are truly great, I think there is always room for improvement. Which is why we started a new site builder: unroole.org
Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Andrei Petrov

Last edited:

andrei.petrov

Thank you for the quick reply sofia20.
Drupal and Joomla are indeed great. However, like any product out there, I believe there are opportunities to improve them. What do you like most about them, and what would you change?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
with both those examples what I dont like is the limitations "out of the box" and the need to continually build on it with modules.

Pheno

The one major thing I'd change about Joomla is to have the ability to create menu items for articles at the same time as creating the article, rather than it being a two stage process.

ashleycasas

The CMS features that I really love are the click and drag objects like buttons, links, etc.
and lay-out can be customized by just moving them on the screen through your mouse.

andrei.petrov

The CMS features that I really love are the click and drag objects like buttons, links, etc.
and lay-out can be customized by just moving them on the screen through your mouse.

You are gonna love http://unroole.org. Sorry, but I couldn't resist the self-promotion opportunity. :)

Thank you all for feedback. This is very valuable and I'll make sure that all these good suggestion are considered for our first release.

Additionally, how do you guys feel about the website maintenance? One issue we encounter frequently is that our clients would change their minds frequently and we would have to change content and schedule it's launch at odd hours. We found this process quite painful to do since most CMSes don't let you edit the pages of line and schedule their launch in the future. Has anybody else encounter similar problems?