Daryl Summers - Portfolio

darylsummers

Hello! My name is Daryl and I am a professional website developer for a company in Kent. I have created a new version of my portfolio website - http://www.darylsummers.com and I would really appreciate it if I could receive some feedback on the design and content.

The portfolio will have a new selection of my commercial website designs I have done - but its main focus is on what I want to do on the long-term.

All feedback is welcome as it will encourage me to evolve me designs and increase my creativity!

Many thanks

Daryl Summers

Last edited by a moderator:

darylsummers

I have made some minor amendments based on feedback from other website review forums. Any feedback is appreciated -

Last edited by a moderator:

n1c0_ds

Although it looks fantastic, it feels a lot like a purchased WordPress theme. The home page just feels like a standard page, not a landing page worthy of a web designer. The rest of the pages also have this feeling, as if it was just content tacked onto a high quality template.

Content-wise, I don't see it's a portfolio for what. I need to dig in the text to know what you are doing. Your About page is really cool. I wonder why you talk about your driver's license though. It's no big feat, more of an expectation. Same goes for telephone manners.

My recommendation would be to break the mold a bit and experiment with different home page and portfolio page layouts.

SEO-wise, it's a mess. All your pages have the same <title>. There are no titles that say anything about your field, no page-specific meta descriptions, no microdata/microformats on your contact form. This stuff is much more important than a great design.

That being said, it's hands down the best site I've seen on this forum this month. Good job!

darylsummers

Hi n1c0_ds!

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments about my design - maybe I should consider making templates for Wordpress :)

The about page is more to do with my CV - As the content was used to promote my website from non-webdesign industries... as this wasn't the line of work professionally I set myself up to do - but things changed in the last couple of months!

Regarding SEO optimisation, I do not have a clue where to begin with this, but I will do some research on the forums and get the website optimised more effectively over the next weekend and I will take your tips in particular on board and make sure they are implemented.

Once again, many thanks. :)

Trevor

Clean and Concise, it needs something but i cant quite put my finger on it maybe a wider format? I know its 960 wide but it needs something. Maybe something as simple as a shadow around the frame, its really 2d.

n1c0_ds

Hi n1c0_ds!

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments about my design - maybe I should consider making templates for Wordpress :)

The about page is more to do with my CV - As the content was used to promote my website from non-webdesign industries... as this wasn't the line of work professionally I set myself up to do - but things changed in the last couple of months!

Regarding SEO optimisation, I do not have a clue where to begin with this, but I will do some research on the forums and get the website optimised more effectively over the next weekend and I will take your tips in particular on board and make sure they are implemented.

Once again, many thanks. :)

Start with a descriptive <title> and meta descriptions. The All in One SEO plugin does the job just fine.