Customer Worries about Billing for Time

BMA

Banned
Website customers want to be able to shoot over simple requests that can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours. We ask that clients put a credit card on file, have a written agreement that we will work on request for a small fee per 15 minute unit, and charge their credit card for the time when the job is done. About half the clients seem to dislike this. They say, "But how will we know how much it will cost ahead of time?" Does anyone else get this. How do you satisfy these customers?

DHDdirect

You could ask them what would suit them.

I generally setup a maintenance agreement at a set price. It explains what services it covers and what it doesn't cover. You can set this agreement up monthly or quarterly or longer.

And as a rule of thumb I do not include scripting or redesign in these agreements and state that they would cause extra on a qouted basis.

Hope that helps

leroy30

I know what you mean. The one I struggle with is "can you please quote me to do this" and when you are half way through it they say "Oh and can you just change this" and if you say it will cost extra they are like "but I already paid you"

Many people want something for nothing lol

BMA

Banned
Good stuff, everyone. Yes, giving firm, upfront prices for a bunch of changes a client emails over in relatively stream-of-consciousness writing style will always increase the price for the customer. It would take 15 to 30 minutes just to read all the instructions and work up a quote (while I'm not actually working on the website). And then estimates like that tend to get padded a little to be on the safe side. When hiring me for website changes (not initial design), the hourly rate will always get the customer the best price and make the most efficient use of my time. But like everyone is saying, it's really all about what the customer wants and how the customer wants it, so I guess I'll be getting paid a little extra here and there for customers who want firm quotes for little updates.