CMS..Do I have this right?

misstheresa2009

Hi Everyone,

I am confused about what a CMS Site is and why its so important. I did a search on this site and found other questions and answers about CMS so I think I may have figured it out. Here is what I learned (I think):

1.) A CMS stands for Content Management System. It allows my clients to update their own websites. If I created just a static site they would have to add the information using html and upload it to the server. A CMS is already on the server so this won't be necessary.

2.) I can create a CMS Site with Dreamweaver using Joomla, Wordpress or Drupal extensions. My client will obviously need an account with one of these.

3.) If I use something like Subdreamer I will have to create my own templates.

4.) If I advertise to my clients that their web design service includes a CMS, this doesn't mean a separate static website AND a CMS (like Joomla). It means the site was created in Joomla, Wordpress or Drupal. There wouldn't be a need for an identical static website if there is one already created with CMS.

5.) I should just use a CMS in the first place and forget about static websites.

Is this information correct? Is there anything else I need to know about CMS?:)

Regards,

misstheresa2009

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats pretty much it.

if you were to make a static site you would
1. get a domain and hosting
2. build a template html
3. populate content
4. upload to website
5. propagate and live

if you were to make a site (with cms)
1. get a domain and hosting
2. build a template html
3. download and install the cms of choice on the hosting
4. upload template to website
5. populate content (in the cms or ftp)
6. propagate and live

some would argue that its wise to set up a local server and build in there first, but its not essential.

each of them works with your "template" in different ways so you'll have to read up about all of that. wordpress is one of the easiest - both the UI and and the way to set up templates is pretty straight forward. but look around, you mentioned the three main ones but that certainly isn't all there is to choose from. if you only want to do really minor edits, or they are really small clients, or it all seems to overwhelming. you can use something like cushycms.

http://www.cushycms.com/
really basic, but it might help conceptualising the difference between the two. essentially you build a "static" site, upload it and add editable tags to the html. then in cushycms your client logs in and can only edit what you've defined.

however if you are keen to jump in with a cms, it is worth it. it'll cut your development time majorly and with plugins you pretty much can do anything you want.

CaldwellYSR

if (headhurts == "possibly") {
alert ("keep going!");
}
else if (headhurts == "yes") {
alert ("go to sleep");
}
else if (headhurts == "damn !@#$ mofo scripts...") {
alert ("give up and have a beer!");
}
else {
alert ("watch TV");