Can anybody review my website?

lolkaykay

Hi everyone!

I'm about 80% done with an e-commerce website and I need some suggestions or ideas. The e-commerce platform I use has a lot of side panels, and I'm afraid that makes the design too "template-ty." I'm also just starting out my web design career and I'm aware that it might look a little amateurish but I'm not sure what to do about that. And that's where you guys come in!

Here's the link:
http://www.idainty.com

Thank you so much!

sysgenmedia

Overall, I really like this, especially for someone newish to web design. eCommerce projects can be a big issue to tackle and you've done a really nice job of it.

The design is simple, but that's not a bad thing. In this case it works, and you've varied the colors of the various sidebar items very well and kept a coherent color scheme throughout the site.

The images in the homepage slider module are crisp and market the product well.

The only negative issue that I can see is with IE6 (after checking it out in FF, IE7, IE8, and Safari5). The image slider on the home page simply displays as 3 images in a ul on top of each other, and the right column displays at the right but below the left column. The latter problem could likely be fixed with an IE-only style sheet and is likely due to one of the columns being slightly too large for the given space. IE6 is incredibly picky about this.

Whether or not you want to support IE6 is up to you. In the US at least, many large corporations are unfortunately stuck on IE6, so depending on your target demographic you may want to touch it up some. If you need a copy of IE6 to view it in, I'd recommend searching for MultipleIEs or IETester. I tend to lean towards using MultipleIEs for testing in IE6.

Overall though, very nice work, and a very interesting product.

lolkaykay

I have really little patience for IE6 but I guess it's a necessary evil. I'll look into it, and thank you so much for your help.

sysgenmedia

Yeah, it's really a pain to develop for IE6, but unfortunately until the major corporations get off of it it's sometimes a necessary evil. It really depends on the demographic that will be viewing the site whether or not it's worth it and at what point it looks good enough in IE6.

There are also various scripts out there that you can install that pop up a giant warning at the top of the page if they detect a user on IE6 that say something like "You're using an outdated browser, stoppit. Here's links to 4 other browsers that aren't terrible." (paraphrased of course)

joshuajameswhit

Yes I feel your pain for IE6. The way in which i overcome the problem was to attach a second style sheet.

I'm about 75% complete on my website. If you view the source code on my website, you'll see how I attached a second style sheet, if you needed help with this. Line 26 - 36 http://diamond-designz.co.uk

Last edited: