Browser problems occur when using my site!

TDC

I have a problem that I am trying to solve through a process of illimination but just can't figure out.

I have built a site for a new business I am starting. Recently I visited the site and activeX components within the page have a highlight cell around them, that requires me to "click to activate and use this contol". The browser also seems to not like any other active x elements on the web including quicktime and requests i download the relivant active x component (sometimes crashing in the process).

I did a system recovery thinking it must be a system fault with my machine, so thought this would solve the problem. Which it did, until I restarted the machine again and all was back to faults when browsing.

The most worrying thing is now my colleges machine has the same problem after visiting the site! I need to resolve the problem as the site is being launched on monday...

I can't think of any changes to the site i made when the problem occured, and it is of a fairly simple construction.

Are there any bugs or viruses within the site that could cause this problem?

I don't think it could be down to firewall problems as why is it affecting my friends machine on a completely different ISP?

any ideas greatfully recieved.

TDC

im using windows explorer 6, and i've tried firefox with no apparent problems... I have just done another system restore and there dosn't seem to be any porblems. Seems very inconsistant.

Windows explorer is dodgy anyway (so i've been told) but the situation is a little unnerving.

Just tried loading the site on anlither machine and ISP and all seems ok.

:confused:

StephanieCordray

Check your browser settings, you may have a setting that is causing IE not to allow some parts of ActiveX scripts because they are vulnerable to exploits by so-called hackers.

StephanieCordray

One other thing.... did you just do a recent update from Microsoft? I forgot about it but the most recent update from them caused a lot of problems for a lot of people so perhaps, once you get the patch for the patch, you're problems will disappear.

TDC

nope... just done an upgrade to version 7 with no affect! still highlighting active x content.

TDC

Is anyone familiar with the windows update as you highlighted there does seem to be problems with it concerning the use of active x components. Why have microsoft thought it right to "protect" users form these components. It seems from the following from now on "we" have to click to activate any active x components. Are there any patches to get round this or can i deactivate it? Time I stopped using mircosoft i guess. Just anoying as my potential clients are going to be irritated when using my site and anyones elses with a lot of flash content :mad:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp