Best SEO Steps

krymson

Naaah it won't get a site 'penalised', like most "link building" the worst case is your time is completely wasted as search engines pay absolutely no attention to just about every site that links can be placed without requiring some form of 'quality control' from the site where the links are. If initially your page DID get some minor 'benefit' from such links, it was NOT penalised, it simply means that the links were devalued after they had been 'inspected' by the search engine in question.
Yeah that's a good way of looking at it

peterson16

how to learn seo? which videos to follow? what is correct so much content on internet about SEO but I am confused to which I follow? any legal must use site?

Lou Neri

Pretty much ... NONE of them.

The people who make SEO 'videos' are not 'teaching' anything, they are advertising themselves.

Do some reading on real SEO instead at High Rankings instead.

Why should I talk to them?

How do I know they're not advertising themselves ?

people who make SEO 'videos' are not 'teaching' anything, they are advertising themselves.

are you SURE?

Not to be rude, but...
If
people who make SEO 'videos' are not 'teaching' anything
then, do you mean learning SEO by watching videos from "Rand Fishkin", "Neil Patel" and "Matt Cutts" is a waste of time? o_O

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
Rand Fishkin promotes his OWN brand of SEO which is aimed at selling you the "SEOMOZ Toolkit" so you can monitor such useless things such as DA and PA which are both worth exactly FA for "SEO".

I might take financial or entrepreneurial advice from Neil Patel but SEO??? I doubt it.

are you SURE?
Absolutely.
All you have to look for is, ... ... Do they want you to 'sign up' for something?
If they do .... .... They ARE marketing something that benefits THEM.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that all these 'experts' have a completely altruistic reason for providing basic advice, they do want you to start paying them for the "good stuff". The people you SHOULD be learning from is somebody who has nothing at all to sell you and does not have a "SEO company" for you to employ or "SEO services" THAT ARE FOR HIRE.

Matt Cutts is NOT an SEO, he has nothing to sell you, does not care if you take the advice or not and there is no 'catch' with following his advice. You don't even need to give him your email address

Lou Neri

Rand Fishkin promotes his OWN brand of SEO which is aimed at selling you the "SEOMOZ Toolkit" so you can monitor such useless things such as DA and PA which are both worth exactly FA for "SEO".

I might take financial or entrepreneurial advice from Neil Patel but SEO??? I doubt it.

Absolutely.
All you have to look for is, ... ... Do they want you to 'sign up' for something?
If they do .... .... They ARE marketing something that benefits THEM.

Well, I get your point... So let me jump into conclusion...
If these experts doesn't give you or others, the advice that they need to understand SEO...

Where they should go and what should they do?

chrishirst

Staff member
Where they should go and what should they do?

No further than their own computer, don't take verbatim 'facts' from "experts", because they are usually wrong, anyone offering a cast iron, copper bottomed, 100% fool-proof, guaranteed way to "SEO your site" IS lying.
Read everything you can find, but don't believe any of it, You can take what actual search engine employees say as being reasonably accurate, particularly what not to do, but these are NOT 'rules' they are just guidelines. You have to determine what is actually 'best' for your pages as no two sites are ever alike, and what 'works' for one marketplace could be a disaster in another.
The best idea is to simply ignore search engines and put all your effort into just getting real traffic and real customers, forget about irrelevant metrics, such as "bounce rate", "time on page", "unique visitors", etc. if your site is commercial in any way which includes being 'ad supported', the only thing that matters is conversions anything else is just 'window-dressing'. The thing that every body considers 'weird' is that when you do 'optimise' for real people you find that you also get traffic from Search. This is because when you market to real people you also give search engines exactly what they want as well.
Good content, aimed at real people, because search engine users ARE real people as well.

magicbeam

forget about irrelevant metrics, such as "bounce rate", "time on page", "unique visitors", etc.
How can you ignore bounce rate, this is the main part of conversions. If you get 1k visitors a day and your bounce rate is 90% how you think you will get any sales from users?

chrishirst

Staff member
How can you ignore bounce rate, this is the main part of conversions. If you get 1k visitors a day and your bounce rate is 90%

What if those 90% had left by clicking on an advert that you get paid for???

Would you STILL be complaining about a 90% conversion rate??????

chrishirst

Staff member
Wow, is that ever happened to your site or even a member from this forum?

Does it matter if it happened?

It is an allegory, a possibility that 90% 'bounce rate' could foreseeably be, SIMULTANEOUSLY a 90% conversion. It is a reminder that ALL OF YOU saying x% bounce rate is 'good or x% bounce rate is 'bad' have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, you are simply repeating TOTAL NONSENSE that you have "read somewhere".
Rather than simply "reading about it" the repeating it you need to get some real experience on site analysis rather than just assuming it is 'important' because it's the first thing Google Analytics shows you.

Lol, have you ever been in adult industry? People are still doing linkex...
Actually, .... .... Yes I have. THE most competitive market place you can imagine is very good for learning how many beans really make five, and how most of the 'important metrics' bandied about are really just useless 'fluff'. We never got to a 90% bounce and conversion rate but we did hit the high 70s from time to time.

chrishirst

Staff member
How does it affects your business?

It doesn't any more, but at the time it meant that more money could be spent on paying for adverts without affecting the 'bottom line' significantly. Also the analysis of that click-through traffic meant we learned a bit more about what attracted people to click on links and what traffic sources converted, and that is the real power of 'bounce rate' analysis, as I have said several times before, 'bounce' rate WITHOUT a qualifying 'metric' is simply not at all useful. It is only of use when evaluated against a specific source, maybe an advert, an anchor text string, a specific location on a 'page' or a specific document URL (landing page in marketing speak) on your website. Traffic from Search will almost invariably have a relatively 'high' bounce ratio, but that's okay, it is to be expected and it hasn't really cost you anything to lose that conversion. Bounce ratio only REALLY matters when it has cost you real money to lose that conversion.
Despite what so many "experts" claim, you are not really in control of what search terms any of your 'pages' may be, or will be, shown to Search users for, the search engines are and they do not answer to you. The simple fact is you should, always treat Search traffic as ephemeral, don't worry about it, don't chase it specifically and most importantly do not rely on it.

magicbeam

Does it matter if it happened?

It is an allegory, a possibility that 90% 'bounce rate' could foreseeably be, SIMULTANEOUSLY a 90% conversion. It is a reminder that ALL OF YOU saying x% bounce rate is 'good or x% bounce rate is 'bad' have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, you are simply repeating TOTAL NONSENSE that you have "read somewhere".
Rather than simply "reading about it" the repeating it you need to get some real experience on site analysis rather than just assuming it is 'important' because it's the first thing Google Analytics shows you.
Well, i don't want to waste my time with arguing a guy who don't know about bounce rate and keep telling himself bounce rate doesn't matter for conversions. lol, you're good going.
I am out from this convo...