beginner wants advice before getting started

syngen smythe

Hi- I have done a bit of searching on this, about 2 hours worth, and cannot find answers. Hopefully this forum can help me.

I consider myself a beginner with the following experience; I have used MS Front Page for years to design and update a personal website that has an online resume and some links to my personal interests. I also own and run a business on the side for which I made my own site, and update it frequently, using GoDaddy.com. This site has earned me a lot of business however it is time to move on. Thirdly I have been asked by my employer to assist in a 'revamp' of their website, which is currently rudimentary at best. I want to help make this site cutting edge with advanced animations.

To my direct question which is two part:
1) Would MS Expression be a good product to buy and try to 'self-teach'? Possibly related, I have self taught (using tutorials and a lot of time) programs such as Autocad, Revit, and Quickbooks. [Momma didn't raise no dummy!]
2) Is there a direction that I should take from the beginning, and /or a product that I should use if I would like to also try my hand someday soon at an iphone app for my side business? I want to develop an app that ties to my website and has interactive options for purchases and specific client information that is accessible with unique usernames and passwords.

I am aware that my "experience" is not worth much here, so I am not looking for comments there. Just looking for the best path to move forward.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all realising that frontpage is inadequate is great!

I've never used ms expression but there are members on this forum that think it is an excellent piece of software, and I respect their opinions but as I am unaware of the price, I'm not 100% on whether that's the best way forward for you.

My personal choice is Adobe cs6. Europe, North America and Australia all have different pricing structures from what I've found but for me it is an investment well worth having. For a set monthly fee you get Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, InDesign, Flash, Illustrator, Fireworks, Muse, Dreamweaver, Audition, Speedgrade, Prelude, Lightroom, Acrobat, plus an assortment of apps/tools such as Edge Animate, Edge Code, Edge Inspect, Typekit, Phone Gap Build. You also get 20g storage, 5 free Business Catalyst sites, (and you can become a free or paid BC partner too if you desire), and if you own or have access to tablets or smartphones, you've also got even more apps for these devices you can access. for me here in aus thats $50 month and includes 2 licences, either PC or mac, doesn't matter. I think thats pretty good value and it also gives you options outside of web development.

if the paid option isn't for you and you would prefer free software, I'm sure there's folk on here who can steer you in the right direction with that as well. personally, efficiency is the key and the all in one solution works for me...

chrishirst

Staff member
I want to help make this site cutting edge with advanced animations.
Don't!!!!!!!!!

"Cutting edge animations" are best left on a "proof of concept" or a "Look what I can do" portfolio website than they are on a commercial business website, unless of course, the business happens to be one that produces "cutting edge with advanced animations." websites for others.

The burning desire to "show off" one's "advanced skills" should be reserved for your documents on your own web properties, unless the client specifically requires such features. When they are used inappropriately or "because I can" it will distract users and detract from the main focus of the site or document.

Last edited:

taty

We use Expression Web 4 now as our priority editor. We love everything about it above any of the other editors. Price wise is way way cheaper than Dreamweaver and for us it out performs DW by a lot.

I would suggest you download the 60 day trial of EW4 and try it making sure you have all the system requirements in place.

It's a professional editor and don't expect it to be anything like Frontpage so you need to forget about FP.

And, be sure to follow chrishirst advice.