Beginner question

Smonkone

I've just started to learn web design and CSS using a book, and I've already run into a question within my first 30 minutes or so.

The book I'm using doesn't explain the different doctypes very well, and it uses XHTML 1.1 as the doctype in all its examples. From just browsing through the web, it seems most sites use XHTML 1.0 transitional, and I'm seeing a few things that suggest XHTML 1.1 is not uniformly supported and can lead to compatibility issues.

So my question is: Is learning on a book based on XHTML 1.1 going to cause me any problems? Should I find another book that is based on 1.0 transitional and then learn the differences between that and 1.1 as it becomes more standard?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry if this has been asked before. I did some browsing and searched a few times, but couldn't find anything really on point.

Smonkone

Thanks for the help! That makes a lot of sense.

As for what I'm planning on doing: I'm in journalism, but I've also done a lot of multimedia work. I've done CD-ROMs with director and a lot of work in Flash, mostly for online media. For some reason, though, I've never actually gotten around to learning the html part of it, so I thought it would be good to learn if just to add another skillset to my resume. But because of that, I really need to be able to do professional-grade work.

Just browsing through these forums has given me a lot of tips so far, so thank you again for all your help!