attaching domain to server

adict_drek

So I'm working with someone to get their site up. He registered a domain name and wants me to handle the rest...awesome I know. I need help figuring out how to attach his domain to my server account so I can upload his files and get the site running. My server is through godaddy. If you need more info just let me know. I dont even know how to start this venture. I can handle it once its attached just never had to mess with someone elses domain name. I figure its just messing with some dns settings or something but as I said I have no clue. Thanks for the help.

brie

Who is the domain name registrar?

The shortest way to do this is to get the appropriate name servers (typically provided to you by your hosting company) and provide this information to your domain name registrar.

If the registrar is GoDaddy, you would use the DNS section of the 'Domain Manager' to provide the name servers.

GoDaddy (the hosting company) should tell you what the name servers are.

(For future reference, if you buy a hosting account on the same GoDaddy account as the domain you want to host, GoDaddy will take care of this for you.)

constanthosting

Be careful hosting multiple "clients" under a single account. Some web hosts do not allow this and your account could be deactivated for it.

I wouldn't mention it to your hosting company that you are using your account for your website and for a friends website, it might not be such a great idea.... I didn't say that tho.. :)

What brie said should work for you. Just get the nameservers that work with your hosting account from your hosting provider, set the domain to use those nameservers, then add the domain to your account. give it a few hours to a day after making these changes before it starts resolving properly. DNS changes take time to propagate through the internet.

ishie

I think you'll be able to access the management page of the domain name you wish to link to your server. Most servers have that functions.