As a Web Designer, how much programming should I know?

lindseyh

I just applied for a job last week at a Web & Marketing place, in my email and coverletter I said I was applying as a Graphic Designer, but somehow I think he'll want me to do web design too, which I'm ok with.

I'm a little nervous because I don't know how much programming I'll be expected to do if I get the job ( I have an interview ), and I don't really know a lot of programming. I can do basic PHP like Login and stuff.
I guess my real question is are Web Designers really Programmers too? Should I be expected to know as much Programming as an IT person?

Wickedself

As a web designer the only programming that you need to worry about is JavaScript. PHP and MySQL is the developers job.

lindseyh

Alright. I thought it was the Web Designers job to know how to do EVERYTHING. Which was kind of worrying me. I can do HTML really well, some java and some php.. but I'm by no means an expert and I still need help with it. I was just nervous he would expect be to have the expert skills of an IT person.

belal_7mza

i'm web designer :
1- design web site by photoshope
2- split it
3- assembling on ASP.net ,so must be know about asp.net "grid view,lable,Skin Files ,and more

adx

As a web designer the only programming that you need to worry about is JavaScript. PHP and MySQL is the developers job.

Hm, that's good to know:) I have to say though that it's my life ambition to master all languages :rolleyes: I have a lot of spare time on my hands..

flipboy

Yeah javascript is the only language a web designer should worry about, not that you should stop there though.

JayT

Knowing a programming language allows you to control all aspects of a website - layout, styling and content. And it will provide you with more opportunity to get more work.

I design websites and I write in the programming language php. Most all my websites are dynamic and involves the use of mysql databases. This gives me a decided advantage when it comes to closing the deal on a website. When the client is relaying his/her needs to me I am able to ask the right questions that will help me to complete the project in less time and give the client exactly what they want.

I don't have to wait on a programmer to get caught up on another project before he can get to mine, and I don't have to explain to him over and over again what I'm wanting. I also don't have to make excuses to the client as to why the project is delayed.

And the best part about having fewer people involved in a website project is that there will be fewer people to divide the check up with.

I make more money designing websites than I do typing in content, so I let the client do that. But I don't want them typing their content in betwixt my code. CMS's are terrible. They look awful, they're too big and they're too complicated. So I wrote and designed my own type of "CMS" that allows my client to easily add, edit and delete their own content to any page on their website via an admin area. And the completed website looks and works exactly as I and the client want it to.

So, there is a distinct advantage in learning how to program. It gives you more control, more confidence and more money making opportunities. I believe that Web designers are better able to learn how to program than the other way around.

Programmers do not have any artistic sense or design skills. As long as they can type something into a query field and get the results they want, then it can be in basic black and white and they would be happy. They don't care about styling. But if you as a designer with your flare for creativity could learn to write code, you could design a website that would work as great as it looks.