Are databases more hack safe

DotCom

I am developing this site that i have been working on for a few months. I don't have a database but it is definitely a site that should have one, as i will be updating and changing/adding information on/to it all the time.

How will the database protect me, will my sites just lying on a server be more vulnerable?

chrishirst

Staff member
Protect you from what??

A database is normally what "crackers" or "cyber vandals" attack, especially if it is a "well known" CMS.

Having "flat files" means that server access via FTP, a hosting control panel or directory traversal of a shared server must be obtained first.

DotCom

Protect you from what??

A database is normally what "crackers" or "cyber vandals" attack, especially if it is a "well known" CMS.

Having "flat files" means that server access via FTP, a hosting control panel or directory traversal of a shared server must be obtained first.

does this affect the vulnerability of my site, how much easier will it be for someone to hack it?

Edge

It's a bit like saying 'will putting a door in my house make it vulnerable?'. If I was putting in the door then absolutely - as I have NO idea - if it was my mate who is a locksmith and joiner then the trade off over the now modest increase in vulnerability would be outweighed by the new functionality that allowed me to enter and leave my house.