An article I want opinions on

Enigma

I'm new to this whole web design game. The only website I own is one I bought called http://www.recycleconnect.net but I didn't make it myself

I've been trying to build a site myself for my DJ company and I think I might be focusing on the wrong aspects building this site after reading this article. 5 Simple Yet Effective Web Design Tips This article claimed to NOT make your site flashy yet to function more on the content. I understand that but how accurate do you think all of the info in this article is? I found it when I was searching through google. Im just a newb looking to collect as many opinions as I can.

Eric

Well, the article is right on the money, but I should add one thing-Know your audience. A dj's website needs to be flashier and modern looking than an auto-supply store. Google other successful Dj's and you'll get some ideas. You don't have to choose between eye-candy and usability, it's just a balance. Some of these ideas, however, are not just aesthetics. Quality content, css-based navigation, etc. also has to do with searchability and fast downloads, very important.

bret

Well, the article is right on the money, but I should add one thing-Know your audience. A dj's website needs to be flashier and modern looking than an auto-supply store. Google other successful Dj's and you'll get some ideas. You don't have to choose between eye-candy and usability, it's just a balance. Some of these ideas, however, are not just aesthetics. Quality content, css-based navigation, etc. also has to do with searchability and fast downloads, very important.

Helpful advice, that.