ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well I think the site does have a number of positives, For instance
1. The site is in nice search engine friendly HTML
2. The navigation is well laid out.
3. Informative and to the point text.

However on the negative side, I think
1. the domain name is a bit too long, it is ok, I guess, I have lots of three word domains like the one for this site, but four words tends to become a bit much.
2. The site has more of a cute homepage type style to the design, which i dont think would secure corporate clients.

RAJO

the content is well categorized but .. U need a Design !!!
another design to the title area, another set of colors, maybe a background image....
+ i agree it's a very long domain name
:)

Cheyenne

Thanks, Rajo and Ian for your comments. About the long domain name...I agree, it is rather long, but I doubt I'll change that now.
"The site has more of a cute homepage type style to the design, which i dont think would secure corporate clients." well...not really looking for big corporate clients for the time being, just mainly small businesses and personal.
another design to the title area, another set of colors, maybe a background image....Thanks, I'll maybe toy around with this a bit and see what I can come up with. How was the loading time for you both?

Thanks Again, and Best Wishes-
Cheyenne

ian

Administrator
Staff member
The site does load fast. But there always needs to be a compromise between loading fast and looking professional.

Cheyenne

This I realize. Perhaps you're right about the font, but as I said before...and I can't see the connection between professionalism and a lot of different colors thrown in...

StephanieCordray

Would it help if I say this? The site looks feminine and personal due to the colors used. A professional site would use gender neutral colors. The butterflies give it that personal home page look rather than a business look. Whether it's small or large business it still needs to look like a business. The only other site you've done is also along feminine lines and you might net some more similar sites based on that one but I wouldn't count on it.

StephanieCordray

Well.... no, not exactly. It's different colors alright but thematically it still looks like a personal home page.

here's a site I maintain pro bono: http://www.osdnashville.org . I don't consider myself a web designer at all and this is not exactly a business but a charity. However, it needs to operate on the same principle.

I would suggest that you visit some designers' sites and get a feel for how they project themselves to their visitors. While not all sites are created equal, graphically or otherwise, looking at other sites in the field will give you an idea of the trends of the market. Another possibility is finding a niche market and perfecting yourself in that particular area. Here is an example of a niche market developer: http://www.creativeinternetconsulting.com .

It is particularly difficult to come up with something original when there are templates to be had for very little money. The worst thing in the world a potential client can say to you is: "I want my site to look like ________ and you find out it's a template monster or other template that's been done and done so many times you've seen it a hundred places.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that the font of the text is slightly too big and bold.
Also the font used for the header image is not good.

SiteExpress

I think something that creates a "Personal homepage look" is using background textures. Personally, I think the use of solid colors that are not over-bearing, is the best method for backgrounds.

Cheyenne

StephanieCordray said:
The only other site you've done is also along feminine lines and you might net some more similar sites based on that one but I wouldn't count on it.

The Special Olympics just contacted me today to do their website. :cool:

Cheyenne