WMF sold again...

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ian, thought this might interest you. i found out threw aa yesterday that wmf has been sold again. by the look of things it's fate has gone from bad to worse. :(

StephanieCordray

I suppose that means my platinum membership is gone, too...

sigh... it hasn't been wmf in a long time, really.... could it have gotten any worse? Don't answer that, lol. I know it could have. I liked Giant Domains and some of the others running the board but I do miss the old WMF.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
StephanieCordray said:
I suppose that means my platinum membership is gone, too...

sigh... it hasn't been wmf in a long time, really.... could it have gotten any worse? Don't answer that, lol. I know it could have. I liked Giant Domains and some of the others running the board but I do miss the old WMF.
after i resigned from WMF's staff, i never looked back. my views and those of the other ex-mods as to where the forum should go and where the new admin staff wanted it to go differed to much. everything i feared would happen, happened, despite promises of those things not happening.

anyways, it's quite apparent now that things could get worse, although i didn't think they could. the site is no longer. :(

StephanieCordray

The site has been no longer really for about a year now. It was redirected to dnforum.

I had left it, too, but went back on request. It was okay for awhile, then "they" decided to redirect it to dnforum and I completely lost interest. I don't have any stake in buying and selling of domain names.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
they had requested that i stay on staff as well, and when i left, i was told i be more than welcome to come back at anytime. which was cool, but with the way things were going i just no longer had any interest in being a part of it.

when ian opened this forum, i had high hopes that this would be the next WMF, but his attention at that point in time was more on CoFo. i did however notice that MSN, Yahoo and Google spiders and bots have been on the site nearly permanently these past few day. :)

i think what really made WMF what it was for those of us that were their from the early stages on was how well we worked together. we weren't just random people on some i-net forum, we were friends and we remain as such to this day. that is a result that will be hard to duplicate, but ian managed to do something simular with CoFo, so their is hope yet for WDF. :)

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well I had the opportunity to buy a webmasterforum, a lot of money, and decided against it, I will stay the course with this site, and running this site as opposed to a webmaster forum, was a strategic decision. The term "webmaster" gets searched for 38,236 times a month, the term "web design" gets searched for 396,889 times a month, so there was an underlying reason behind my decision to sell wmf. It also enabled me to buy computerforum.com as well as this site, and a few others, so all said and done, I am happy with my decision. And computerforum.com far exceeds wmf in terms of size and many other areas.
Yes I do have big plans for computerforum, but i plan on spending equal time to all three forums.
This site was kind of put on the backburner, since its exception, it had one very major problem, it could not get listed in google at all, when you did a search in google for site:webdesignforum.com one of aa's sites would come up. Anyhow this problem persisted for over a year, and it was only in the last few weeks, that the problem was able to be fixed, so it is only now that this site has been listed in google, mind you it always was listed in yahoo and msn, so it did get search engine traffic, but just none from google. Anyhow I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope things continue to improve for this site.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ian, i am sorry if you misunderstood my post, i was not questioning your decision to sell WMF. i just merely thought it might interest you that it had been sold again and is no longer. which in a sense is a good thing for you, as it was (at least at one point in time) direct competition to this site.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if I came off as being defensive, didnt mean it that way, it was just one of those decisions, that I had to make at the time, if I had to make the decision today, I would not have sold that site. I just had one very big bill that had to be paid at the time, for the most part, I am in the business of buying sites, not selling them.

AainaA

so when is the IAN Conference gonna be held? I heard that the IAN Network is growing larger by the day

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Actually the ian network is downsizing, you read it here first :p
Nothing that would affect this site though, this site is on my safe list and will stay.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Nah no iantranet, though I would really like to learn programming, if only I had the time...

ian

Administrator
Staff member
If only I didnt have to work a day job, I would have all the time I needed, then again, I would probably just watch tv all day.

suz

This is what I think too, when my daughter starts school I will have all this spare time. But somehow I know I'll end up wasting it.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Suz, what you need to do is sit down, map out a plan of what you will do for the week, monday tuesday wednesday, etc
actually map out what tasks you will do each day. Try and be conservative as in dont set too high a task which you cant achieve.
And then just go ahead and do it and be determined to do it.
I did that this easter weekend, i mapped out what i had to do on each of the four days. Actually ended up finishing it in two days.