What graphic maker to buy

[tab]

Opera/Firefox on Debian
Staff member
Photoshop is king, but it's expensive. Paint Shop Pro is good, not sure how much it is though. I'm sure both have trial versions so you can decide what you like.

You could also get Gimp for free.

StephanieCordray

If you're seriously thinking of doing graphics, fireworks is rather limited in scope... not that it can't do an excellent job with what it does, it just doesn't really do that much without plugins.

Before taking the plunge to Adobe Photoshop, there is photoshop elements which is a lighter version at a lighter price but before it I would recommend trying Jasc's Paintshop Pro... I just took a look at the trial version and it's got a lot going for it when you are just starting out.

s guy

Banned
i tried fireworks

but i want to make a logo and banner etc frm scratch. i dnt understand how people make these wiked logos like that one zkiller made. maybe i just no how to use fireworks properly.

StephanieCordray

more than likely zkiller used photoshop. I can't remember if he said so or not. basically it's a layered creation and using various blending techniques to acheive the desired results. Yes, you should be able to use fireworks to acheive similar results.

However, fireworks is limited in a lot of ways... it's not as easy to take away parts of backgrounds to keep only the elements of the photos that you want to use and so forth... photoshop has a set of nifty little tools for these like that whereas in fireworks, it's manual labor and painstakingly slow.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
personally, i started with Paint Shop Pro, or PSP for short. PSP is a very powerfull graphics suite, much like adobe's photoshop, but at a lighter price. for learning and getting started, PSP is great. depending on what you want to get into graphics for, PSP will do everything you need and more in many cases. however, if you want to get professional and possibly make your hard earned bread in the interactive media industry, their is no way around photoshop which is (in my opinion at least) the best at what it does straight out of the box.

StephanieCordray

zkiller said:
personally, i started with Paint Shop Pro, or PSP for short. PSP is a very powerfull graphics suite, much like adobe's photoshop, but at a lighter price.

See? I'd recommend it for general use,too.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
StephanieCordray said:
See? I'd recommend it for general use,too.
are you agreeing or disagreeing with me stephanie? :confused:

but yes, it is perfectly suitable for general use as well.

StephanieCordray

zkiller said:
are you agreeing or disagreeing with me stephanie?

agreeing with you. I said in an earlier post that I had just gotten a trial version and liked it very well. Actually will be picking up a copy soon... can get it from CompUSA for $70 which is cheaper than downloading it from JASC.