Website Review, Input

conselman27

I am looking for people from the point of view of parents looking to send their kids, potential campers, and potential counselors. What information would you like to know that is not listed? What would make you want to attend? Ease of navigation... Any other comments. I appreciate input on design and navigation, but at this point I am looking for more information on content right now.

Thanks,
Sarah

http://tlbcolympia.com

chrishirst

Staff member
You don't want to hear my thoughts on something that exists to indoctrinate children in 12th century superstitions and mysticism.

conselman27

I appreciate that you have opinions on the purpose behind my website, but I had hoped when asking for a critique of it that people would understand that I am not posting this to debate the existence of organized religion and such. Just to get opinions on my website. If you are able to separate those subjects I would still be happy for input.
A writing teacher can not give a student a F on an opinion paper just because they don't like the students opinion, they must grade on the elements of the paper and separate themselves from the subject.
If you didn't want to give input you didn't have to say anything.

Asking Chris not to say anything is akin to asking to asking someone south of the Mason Dixon line not to say "fixin"... America.. whatever...

Anywho.. I find the site to totaly NOT speak on the subject matter.. screws and metal looking for a bible camp??? The "print" button.. on forms? Maybe Id like to print the forms but.. not the div with the links to the forms.

Mystery meat nav for what I assume is recent blog posts.. loose it, NO idea what its for at all. Sidebar.. meta.. why? Looks like thsi is wordpress. go for a static home page. Contact-> schedules.. out of bounds on the container. Inline style of div align center... um.. I'd just start there.

conselman27

Contact-> schedules.. out of bounds on the container.
I have been trying to fix this sense I opened the website. I have found that it only happens if you are using chrome. Why? I have no Idea.

I have been battling trying to find a theme that will fit better.

For the print button I agree that it doesn't make sense to have it on the "forms" page, but there are other pages that I want to have it on, don't know how to make it only appear on some pages.

Im on firefox and I can see it there. The print.. pop open firebug.. the divs have a class of "printfriendly" in css target and hide the a tag for the links you don't want.

css style .easy-table th, .easy-table td has padding.. kill it.. table will be fine.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like you've used a downloaded theme, which you have, and slapped your content into it, so there really isn't a whole lot to review.

The entire design of the site doesn't really speak "camp" to me. It honestly looks like some generic mommy blog. If you're going to use a template, at least use one that fits the subject matter. I've been to bible camps when I was a kid. I also went to non-religious summer camps. The only real difference was the bible part. Kids are still spending a week in the woods getting dirty, having fun and in your case, learning about religion. Show that. Use browns, tans, greens and white ("earthy colors") for your color pallet. You're going to want to invite people by showing how much fun the kids are going to have, and make parents feel comfortable by showing how safe they will be. Use lots of photos. Part of making parents feel comfortable is showing them who their kids are going to be with. I'm sure your counselors rotate some, but some photos and bios of staff would work.

Ron, it looks like he changed it from when I saw it and you.. looks much better.

But what Ron said is 100% correct. Its about building trust to the brand. Your DEFINITELY heading in the right direction as its starting to look much more twards the modern look, but now it looks a little plain jane.