Website colors!

surfwaterford

Here my problem, i have a lovely site here: www.surfshopireland.com and two sister sites www.surfshopuk.com and www.surfshopfrance.com. I got some one to make them up for me as im really bad with colours/designs though i can competently edit images and css.

What i would like someone to do is to tell me a set of colours i cud replaced the surfshopuk.com with, so im going with the same as www.surfshopireland.com but instead of blue i might use a red or something.

Barkri12

Designing your website means you have to be creative, plan out exactly what you want visitors to see, and then turn these ideas into a design or relay them to a design firm so they can do the job for you. However, the problem with this is you might be coming up with a lot of ideas that are not going to work for you when it comes to the design on your web page. Do some research first about what a good design includes and what a bad design includes. Then, you might be better able to design a great website. Consider the following suggestions before you start coming up with design ideas so you will be sure to leave this out.

Tip #1 - Don’t Distract

For some reason, many webmasters think it is a great idea to put a background picture of whatever their subject matter is and then put the text on top of it. All this does is create a very confusing mess because people cannot see the picture for the text and cannot read the text for the picture. Don't let this problem arise on your website. If you want to include graphics do so separately from the text, simple as that. When it is separate, people are able to read what you have to say and see the photos you post.

Tip #2 - Know Your Colors

Colors have positive and negative effects on people’s psychological interpretations of what you are presenting. Because of this, you should evaluate your product and what you want people to think when they see your product and use the colors accordingly. Keep your audience in mind as well because men and women perceive colors different, so you might use one set of colors if you are marketing to mostly men, another if you are marketing mostly to women, and so on and so forth. There is plenty information on the use of color and how you can make it positively impact your website and visitors impressions rather than the other way around.

Bronzy

i visited your all 3 sites all are looking like same however there is a color difference and try to add some content in this URL surfshopfrance.com at the bottom. and you asked to changed the blue color of surfshopireland.com, i think bule backgorund color is good you can change the border color and font at the top for better look.

Barkri12

Color scheme should be one of your first priorities when it comes time to start your web site creation. If you do not choose the correct color scheme, your web pages will end up either dull and stagnant or so bizarre it's difficult to look at. The color scheme you use should be given your strict attention. Soft pastel colors are some of the best when choosing a correct color scheme, something light on the users' eyes.

richardhooper

hi,
Generating Colors in HTML
These 16 colors can be specified by name in HTML 4. The color names are case sensitive. So, for example, you could use either "#000000" or "Black" to refer to the color black.
Color
Name Aqua Black Blue Fuchsia Gray Green Lime Maroon
RGB #00FFFF #000000 #0000FF #FF00FF #808080 #008000 #00FF00 #800000

Color
Name Navy Olive Purple Red Silver Teal White Yellow
RGB #000080 #808000 #800080 #FF0000 #C0C0C0 #008080 #FFFFFF #FFFF00

Web Designer Chennai, Web Designing Chennai, Web Development Company Chennai

Last edited:

Modern_Media

Here's a useful site - We like using this when trying to come up with some color schemes. Not to mention the site is another great brainchild of Adobe...

http://kuler.adobe.com/

Great colors to use and they really do make your pages pop!

fringuello

the blue is seen to many people as very tranquile, which i think is something good to associate with surfing. i like the ireland one. maybe make a dominantly blue design for the UK one, and maybe throw some orange in there. it's a more playful color and it is directly across from blue on the color wheel which makes it a perfect compliment.(http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html)

red can be kinda scary and loud and angry and i definitely wouldn't associate it with surfing, unless all the people using the site were very, very aggressive and competitive :)

just research some color theory for web design i'm sure you'll come up with some cool stuff.

Last edited:

wachtn

Just a suggestion.
The blue font color looks not as good on the red. Mostly, it made it a little harder for me to focus on the words. Strong clear contrast is important for people like me that need to be able to pick out the words easily to scan a site for useful info.

The ligher blue on the darker blue looked great. It was pleasing to look at and the words were very easy to pick out from the background.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
using primary colors

Blue and red are both primary colors and therefore will compete with each other. Not saying don't use them, just be aware of that and how you apply them. Being that you are dealing with surfing, I would use colors that relate to the sport and its environment.

Blue tones are a no brainer, maybe some green / teal colors? sand colors? something along those lines. I would leave red out of the picture, personally.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
tiled background image

One other comment not related to your colors...the background image on all three sites is tiled, but the image being used is huge. This makes the sites load slower. You can see at the bottom of each site where the image repeats (offset of pixels)

To remedy, just tile an image that is as wide as the vertical gap from one diagonal line to the next (including the lines).

Example
In the attached image, the vert distance from one diagonal line to the next is 6px, so the tiled image should be 6px wide. I tiled it 3 times and changed the color so you could see each repetition.

CSS
body {
background: url("locationOfFile.gif") repeat-x top left //sets the img to repeat on x axis and positions to the top left corner
width:6px; // whatever the vert distance is (mentioned above)
}

Attachments

• tileImgExample.gif
    tileImgExample.gif
    258 bytes · Views: 91

yelleyster

i'm a big fan of colourlovers.com myself.

however, sometimes the best way to decide what works well is just to grab an image you want to base your design around and just use that palette and the dominant colours which come with it.

lovely09

I think blue is enough which is very much related to your topic.Just try to put other colors on some part because it looks like everything is in blue.