Web Site Review

Edge

That's the first time I've clicked on a link and it says 'System status - processing your request' and then it loads the page eventually! What's that about?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
www.customport.com
I'm sure you've done a great job with the application.
however there is no real "Design" to it, its quite boring.
and there is no examples
and there is no call to actions (or at least no obvious ones)

http://www.auroratechgroup.com
slightly more "design" to this one but its very very minimal.

same deal I'm sure you have done a great job but I want to see some demo of the product before I'm forced to sign up...

rosiebrown0

Phreaddee is rite.The first site has no design,logo,its does not look professional.you can add some pages ,design and content to it.
2nd one is good.

H.R.H.

Great, thank you guys.

I appreciate the comments and agree that it is lacking in design. My intent was to get a feel for what others think of it.

I have a ton of functionality going on in the background. From full Plug-n-Play to pure dynamic content. Everything...yes everything, on the screen is coming from the Db.

I will take time this week to design it up a little more. Once I'm done, I will come back to you guys.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to look at it...highly appreciated.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
The page kinda looks like an error message. When I first loaded it, I thought I was looking at a 404 page.

H.R.H.

Because its dynamic, the menu is jQuery/AJAX loaded. I have session=false on the webservice but it still seems slow. It has to get the values from the database.

Roddy

The liquid main content looks really skinny and weird at narrower widths. Consider setting a min-width for this.

You also need to add the meta "viewport" tag since its not pretty to view on iPhone.

jumpingspider

www.customport.com
I'm sure you've done a great job with the application.
however there is no real "Design" to it, its quite boring.
and there is no examples
and there is no call to actions (or at least no obvious ones)

http://www.auroratechgroup.com
slightly more "design" to this one but its very very minimal.

same deal I'm sure you have done a great job but I want to see some demo of the product before I'm forced to sign up...

I kinda agree on that point of view. I mean,your site just looks plain. No offense meant but of course you can do better to it.

H.R.H.

Oh! no offense taken. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I am more of a techie than a graphic designer and I'm color blind, so I am trying my hand at design. So far I must admit I managed to keep it very plain. I will try a few more times and then maybe give in and have someone more qualified do the design. :)

chrishirst

Staff member
Being colour blind, WHY would you even consider design??

A consultant on accessibility I could understand. I have a eyesight problem with some colour combinations when the contrast is low, so I KNOW that that would preclude me from designing a layout but it does mean I can point out to others where their design(s) fall down on accessibility.

Not that I'm any good at designing to start with, but it does limit my capabilities with design.

Rockerfeller

I guess that you will add pictures an graphic elements later.

I suggest you remove everything that is red. ( "a:hover": give links another tint of blue; "Processing...": get a loading .gif, look for free ones on google )

Also, you could try adding a body background with a nice subtle texture.

Otherwise, I like your design, it is clean and well organized.