Web page using Laravel and code ownership ??

stever2013

Hello all.
I am looking for any kind of advice here, i am a total newbie and have no knowledge.
I hope some of this makes sense as i do not know the correct terminology to use.
I am having someone design/build some pages for me using Laravel.
I have paid them a very small amount and now its at the stage to make another very small payment for them to create the payment gateway.
I have said from the beginning that i only want a basic mock up design/build for me to trial as admin and a user to see if i want to take the project further and make revisions/changes etc.
I have no idea how in fact i would eventually take control/ownership of the website/pages.
He has explained about him using a developer pay pal to test the payment gateway and then on completion he can then add my pay pal details and then we do a test to confirm i receive payment.
I think this sounds ok but then i asked him how i take control/ownership and run the site/pages as admin, he then started asking me to make suggestions for amounts regarding the code, so i have read that as a developer he owns the code, he has said that he thinks my idea/site is quite niche and could do well, obviously this is subjective, so i would like to know if i was to pay him an agreed price and i take ownership/control, does that mean i own the code ? my thoughts are not as he still knows the code.
My understanding is that i would need to give him the domain name for a transfer for him to make the site live, is that correct ? its a Go daddy domain.
Also if all of the above happened and he owns the code, can i then ask another developer to make changes et in the future, using Laravel i suppose or does he have like a lock on his code or something to prevent this.
Sorry to be a total dumb ass here.
Many Thanks in advance for any replies, feedback or advice.

callmestarfire

No worries, we all start somewhere! It's important to understand what you're getting into;)

1st off, regarding ownership of the code: typically, the developer does own the code they create unless a specific agreement says otherwise
if you want to own the code, you'll need to negotiate that with the developer. Make sure it's clear in your contract.

For the payment gateway, it's common for developers to use their own PayPal or testing accounts during development
when it's all set and ready to go, they should help you integrate your own PayPal details for the live version.

To take control/ownership of the website, you'll need to sort out the domain transfer
if it's with GoDaddy, the process involves transferring the domain into your own GoDaddy account. the developer can guide you through this.

As for future changes, owning the code means you can hire another developer to work on it using Laravel or whichever technology it was built with. There's usually no "lock" preventing this unless there's a specific contractual agreement.

stever2013

No worries, we all start somewhere! It's important to understand what you're getting into;)

1st off, regarding ownership of the code: typically, the developer does own the code they create unless a specific agreement says otherwise
if you want to own the code, you'll need to negotiate that with the developer. Make sure it's clear in your contract.

For the payment gateway, it's common for developers to use their own PayPal or testing accounts during development
when it's all set and ready to go, they should help you integrate your own PayPal details for the live version.

To take control/ownership of the website, you'll need to sort out the domain transfer
if it's with GoDaddy, the process involves transferring the domain into your own GoDaddy account. the developer can guide you through this.

As for future changes, owning the code means you can hire another developer to work on it using Laravel or whichever technology it was built with. There's usually no "lock" preventing this unless there's a specific contractual agreement.
Hello.
Thank you soo much for your reply.
I am
Looking for help again.
The above person is now asking me to transfer my go daddy domain details for deployment ???
As of now the site he has made is a kind of mock up of my requests, I want him to make it live so I can use as a customer amd admin to see how it works and then make changes.

Is this normal ?
I can see that on my go daddy I can transfer to a new registrar.

Im
Soo confused

Thank you for reading.
Any help would be much much appreciated.