web design software

pitchthewoo

i'm looking to publish my first website. i have NO experience in the field and i was wondering if web design software was necessary if you're looking to write your own code.

i already have the code for a page written, i just have no idea how that gets uploaded when you publish the site. must it be done through a design program or can i just use the program i wrote it in?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
on a really basic level you can use notepad to write code. filezilla is a free ftp program you can download to transfer your files to the net. just need some hosting.

web_design

you could download a 30 day trial of dreamweaver + photoshop to build the site then use gimp and the notepad to edit it after :)

http social

Hello,

Install Apache Server (or remote server, but recomended local)
Install MySQL (or remote server, but recomended local)

Install a CMS (Content Management System like Joomla)
Get Artisteer (best around) or purchase templates.
Get a FTP app to upload the files.

The next part is to put everything up in the server.
Your Web Hosting provider could explain this to you.

that's all you need

cheers

Last edited:

che09

I believe they've all mention the possible ways. Well,I would say filezilla is a good Ftp program that you can use!

SiberForum

If you have basic HTML knowledge and have web template and dreamviewer you will be able to design a web site for sure.

bermuda

Webmasters use a combination of programs and tools to develop their websites. Notepad can be nice but provided that you do have coding knowledge and can hand-code HTML plus CSS scripts without feeling the need of touching some applications. Even experts today are using a combination of programs because time is valuable and important and using some software programs, you would be able to create an amazing website and upload that over the net very easily and fast.

Dreamweaver and Expression Web are two useful programs to name in here and they are used by many professionals. They can help you creating HTML codes and CSS scripts very easily and they have troubleshooting sections as well, telling you if some parts of your created site require to get edited. You may also forget about coding stuff and web development discussions and instead look for some templates which today are offered free or at affordable prices and using them is so easy.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tread the template path lightly.
A badly coded template is more hassle than its worth!
Personally, I wouldnt do it.

graphic.flaw

I personally use Dreamweaver and Photoshop. If I had to pick between one though (because they are rather spendy) I would go with Dreamweaver. I use the code view way more but its just an all around solid programming software. Photoshop is nice, but you can achieve the same results with Gimp or another free editor. Just my 2 cents.

Aren't Dreamweaver and Photoshop made for different purposes? I don't use Dreamweaver but isn't it a tool for building complete websites?

Photoshop is for creating and editing graphics and photos. Personally, I find Photoshop Elements, a $99 stripped down version of Photoshop, fine for everything I have had to do so far with my sites.