Using Cron Job To Send Out Email List

Glenn

I have a friend who sends out inservice information for about 50,000 teachers a couple times a week. I have set up a php page to check a database to find any unsent emails that he may has created and sends them to each of the teachers. He sends these out 2 to 3 times a week. I have been told that if you run this page from your computer, that emails are then marked as “spam” because of all of the emails being sent from that ip so I set up a Cron Job to run this page. Are there any problems with this? If so, what can I do about it?

chrishirst

Staff member
if you run this page from your computer, that emails are then marked as “spam”

That is incorrect, it is if you send email message from your computer via your I.S.P. provided IP the message may be marked as spam, because the IP will not have a valid RDNS lookup identity. Provided the message is sent via a correctly set up mail server with reverse DNS PTR records it will not be flagged as spam because of that. It MAY of course be spam flagged for many other reasons, but it will not be the RDNS failure.

Sending messages via a 'cron' job will ALSO be flagged as spam if it does not go via a SMTP server with valid DNS records.