user controlled site

hotplates

Hello, I am new to this site, and also to web design. I can create basic web pages, but I have gotten a request from a friend to make a page that they can update at a later date themselves.

What is the best process for doing this? Do I create the site first or the site management system first. It's not going to be anything crazy just a few pages that will have info, and some pictures. There needs to be a form to upload pictures and have them post on the site, and editable areas. Is this best done with PHP, or something like that.

If anyone has any suggestions, or links I would love it. Please help as crunch time is upon us.

Thank you!

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
despite popular believe php is not the only option and not always the best option. however, if it really is a small site with basic functionality as you mention, then yes, php in conjunction with mysql would be a good path to take.

i don't know what your level of skill is, but you do mention that you are new to the field. as in such i would suggest looking into some premade content management scripts. their are several interesting ones out their, like joomla for instance. try searching the directory at www.hotscripts.com

if you do prefer making your own script from ground up, the first step would be to get a plan down on paper, showing what all you need and how you wish to implement it. i usually make the backend and frontend independent of one another to make future updates to either aspect as easy as possible.