traditional hosting - what is it?

koddos

Banned
Traditional Hosting: Mainly Traditional Hosting comes in two forms: Shared hosting and Dedicated Hosting.

With shared hosting, which is more common among small and medium sized businesses, the client pays for a set amount of space (storage) on a single server, and that server's resources are shared by a number of other websites. It's a cost-efficient, low-maintenance way to host a website or application, and the hosting company is responsible for managing, maintaining, and updating the units.
You will need to adapt by purchasing additional server space to add to your storage space and processing power. But if traffic falls again, you will be paying for resources that you aren't using.

With dedicated hosting, a company pays for the complete resources of one or more servers from a service provider. The client has a set amount of dedicated bandwidth, CPU, RAM, and drive space, and the client has full control over the servers resources.

Crook-sam

Banned
When choosing a host, I would also recommend to look at your current usage and double it at least, triple is even better because coming half way through the month and running out of bandwidth is probable the worst thing you can do for your website.

che09

With the traditional dedicated server model, Customers naturally end up with paying for CPU, Disk and Memory Usage that are not often used and thus resulting to impractical expenses.

shovenose

Banned
Honestly I've never needed a dedicated server for web hosting.
Shared hosting, as long as it's from a reputable company is usually sufficient.
Most shared hostings even allow multiple sites to be uploaded to a single account;
for example, I've got two WordPress sites hosted (using the add-on domains feature) on the same shared hosting account on my $10/month shared hosting plan with HostGator.
You don't neccessarily need a VPS or dedicated server; try shared hosting first! You might find that a dedicated server would be a waste of money...