SSL Help and Questions

bugs10552

I want to install a SSL certificate on my site, and I don't have a clue where to start.

First off, while looking to purchase a certificate I realized that they range in price from $19.99 a year to 0ver $1499.00 a year. They also have different options such as trust level and brand recognition, and I have no idea what they mean. Then of course there are the different companies, Verisign, Commodo, GeoTrust, and others. Can someone either explain these options and what is really necessary and what is not, or point me to a good resource on the topic that explains these things clearly?

Secondly, does anyone know of a good tutorial that covers installation and then the redirects that need to occur to have all your domains point to the Https address without effecting an already very good Search Engine ranking.
Any help would be appreciated, I have been putting this off for a while and I think its about time I get it done.

Thanks in advance

I don't know much about it, but there are some hosting companies that offer a shared SSL certificate so you can have secure pages without needed to purchase your own certificate. One is gate.com.