Resellers Talk

AainaA

K... now the issue arises, when it comes to Hosting. Which is best?

Semi-Ded or Ded? and what are the requirements for a better service in the industry..

Your Say!
Later,

ian

Administrator
Staff member
A shared reseller account has its benefits in that you dont have to manage the server, a lot of the cheaper dedicated server deals, you are responsible for managing the server.
However a dedicated server, offers a lot more freedom, and usually a lot more in terms of storage space and data transfer, so my vote would be to start off with a reseller account shared account and then move up to a dedicated server once you have enough customers to justify it.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
ian said:
A shared reseller account has its benefits in that you dont have to manage the server, a lot of the cheaper dedicated server deals, you are responsible for managing the server.
is that really a benefit?

it really depends on what your goals are and what you want to offer. personally, i would either get a dedicated server or try to get my own server colocated thru a local ISP to where i still have access to the server. that would give you the most flexibility and control over your business, since you would only be limited by the limitations you yourself set.

AainaA

but Z, if the local ISP runs a mile away from any cable offshore wouldnt it still effect the quality of the svc?

as to Ian, how difficult is it to manage your own ded?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
as to Ian, how difficult is it to manage your own ded?
A technical minded person would probably find it easy, I guess it all depends on what operating system you use and what control panel you use. I am lucky, [tab] managed the server for me, he would probably say it was easy, but I can tell you there is quite a bit involved. You also need to make sure you are regular with updates etc.
I am looking to getting a dedicated server in the not too distant future, there are things I want to do, that a shared web hosting environment does not allow.
But being the bean counter that I am, I manage everything the cheapest possible way that I can which in this case means a shared reseller account for now.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Also computerforum.com is starting to outgrow its current hosting, another reason a dedicated server is on the cards...

AainaA

ian said:
I am looking to getting a dedicated server in the not too distant future, there are things I want to do, that a shared web hosting environment does not allow.
Okay. What are the things that you can do that you can't on a shared reseller account?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
upload massive files that would take hours to upload and consume a lot of the server resources, which is not fair on other users of that server, so web hosts may not allow that on a shared account.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
AainaA said:
but Z, if the local ISP runs a mile away from any cable offshore wouldnt it still effect the quality of the svc?
simple answer to a simple question. do you're research prior to deciding on which route you wish to take. if the ISP you have choosen does not have a good connection to a backbone, you might want to reconsider your options.

AainaA

its not about having a good or bad connection to the backbone, as in Malaysia, the local ISP like Telekom Malaysia has its servers located here and there, but the backbone yoyos up and down: first to the US, and then back to Malaysia., meaning you can have all your servers colocated at Tm.net.my, but visitors would need to be rerouted to the US first before accessing your site which is "located" in Malaysia. The irony of making a buck out of webbies.

The same goes for a lot of major ISPs since most of them in the end are resellers of resellers.

As to Level3, Intelsat and BT - I don't see the major of "resellers" going with them as they are prime players in the setup, and you'd need to be at least a major player before you can "resell" their svcs.

Any other solutions?

AainaA

ian said:
upload massive files that would take hours to upload and consume a lot of the server resources, which is not fair on other users of that server, so web hosts may not allow that on a shared account.
apart from that? apart from being able to execute applications, and rebooting the server etc, what else?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
bandwith and server space tends to work out cheaper on a dedicated server, a lot of the dedicated servers out there offer close to 1,000 gigabytes of transfer a month.

AainaA

hmmm what then is the best deal? where do you go for the best deal in terms of getting quality "reseller" hosting which does not compromise on the quality b/width ..

is my question making any sense at all?

AainaA

1gb transfer is not much or is it? I mean its not really having say 5gb transfer monthly, but the hardware that's involved to ensure that sites are speeded up and not get "1/11th percentile on Alexa or Googs"

so....

ian

Administrator
Staff member
1gb transfer is not much or is it?
That is not much at all, computerforum.com uses in excess of 10gb per month and that is mainly text.
I liked serverbeach.com servers. They are not managed, so basically you have to do everything yourself, but they had very good uptime.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
had... as in he doesn't enjoy their services anymore, as the server and their services were part of wmf, which has since been sold as you know.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
zkiller said:
had... as in he doesn't enjoy their services anymore, as the server and their services were part of wmf, which has since been sold as you know.
Yep that is what I meant, I am sure they still have very good uptime, Im just not with them anymore to be able to comment on that.