PHP Test

Genius314

How can i test PHP (with mySQL) on my home computer, without anyone else able to access it (so no setting up a website or anything)?

I posted this on another forum, and they gave me a program called EasyPHP, but i don't know how to work it, and now the forum is gone.

Please help me.

StephanieCordray

I've never tried it at home. What I've done in the past and still do when I need it, is set up a test site using a subdomain then install whatever I need to test on the subdomain without bothering anything in my main site.

SiteExpress

I don't know anything about the program they told you about, but normally you would have to set up your home computer like a server. If you are new at it, it would be a bit of a pain. You are better off doing what Steph said, and set up a subdomain or even a folder on a server, and using that.

SiteExpress

No personal info needed. I will just set you up a subdomain on a site I use just for that stuff. All I ask is that you don't use it for anything other than putting your site together and learning how to use php.

If you're ok with that, I will make a domain for you, and PM you the login info.

Deal?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are running winxp pro, you can simply install IIS by going threw the add/remove programs wizard thingy in the control panel. then download php and mysql and install them.

if you are running winxp home edition or some form of 'nix operating system, then you would need to download and install apache instead of IIS.

it's really quite simple. the default domain of a local web server is http://localhost and it won't be accessible threw the internet unless you setup a dns service.

i know i didn't go into a whole lot of detail here, but i hope this helps out a bit.