Password protection

MADtech

Hello. I am creating a website for an organization and I want to add a members only section. I want each member to have their own username and password. I do not know where I should start. I have heard that I need to use CGI or PHP or something, but I really don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chroder

You would need some kind of server-side technology.

What kind of member only section is it? Is it only for a select group of people? If, for example, you only needed to give 10 people access then you could use htaccess to just manually create 10 users.

But otherwise, you'd probably be best off with a PHP script. See if a script at HotScripts suits your needs.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
haha... chris, you beat me to it. i was gonna suggest using .htaccess as well.

MADtech, let us know in a bit more detail what it is you are trying to do and we will be able to help you out a bit better. from the little you give above, i can't tell whether you have a need for user management or not. thus .htaccess is the first thing that came to mind.

MADtech

I have a current group of about 10 members which will probably expand in the future. I want them to have exclusive access to a few pages on my site. What is my best option for a password protection system?

Last edited: