Oop

Robert-B

I am looking to develop my skillset in PHP a little more mainly in Object Orientated Programming. Can anyone recommend any decent resources please

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Codecademy.com

OOP is more a computer science concept than just a feature of PHP, though. I don't know any resources to really show that off hand. I kinda had an "aha!" moment one day while writing some JS, and that's how I got it.

chrishirst

Staff member
True, you either "get" OOP or you don't, my "road to Damascus" (and that's the only 'biblical' reference you'll ever get from me) moment was in going from writing "stuff" in Pascal to 'visual' coding with [Borland] Delphi (later to become Kylix) and don't worry, all the puns and jokes about it being foretold by the 'Oracle' have all been done to death over the years.

Robert-B

Thanks for that guys. Its a term I have seen mentioned a few times but I was not aware that it related to so many different programming languages. I will check out codecademy as it looks really good.

lionel.web

You can try Lynda's tutorials, and e-books.
For sure, there are tutorial for OOP php there...And they are great!

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lynda does have some good tutorials. OOP is a funny thing, though. Some people can learn it no problem. Most people struggle with it until it just jumps up and clubs them in the head. Others just can't get it. I'm in a Java class right now. Thankfully, I had the advantage of going in understanding the premise of OOP. Others haven't been so lucky, and I'm guessing there'll be a number of people in that class who don't pass.

chrishirst

Staff member
I think the problem is that OOP syntax looks very much like "putting the cart before the horse", so is counter-intuitive to people who are used to the procedural structure of 'normal' programming.

chrishirst

Staff member
Though having said that, ...

I still can't get my head around jQuery, DOM scripting no problem, jQuery could be in Polish for all the sense it makes to me.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Though having said that, ...

I still can't get my head around jQuery, DOM scripting no problem, jQuery could be in Polish for all the sense it makes to me.

Funny. That's the exact opposite of me. I "cut my teeth" with jQuery, which I used as a leg up into JS.

jQuery is just a big JS object with a bunch of methods. "$" is the reference to the object. The selector in the parenthesis is just an argument passed. The .whatever is a method inside the object.