online portfolio design (inexperienced)

lindsaynichole

I just graduated (CS major) and I want to make a portfolio web site to include with my resume when I apply for jobs.

I like design a lot but I'm not sure I'm following web trends properly. I've made this Illustrator mock-up design and I can't tell if it looks too flat for a website. As I look through other people's submissions, I feel like most other website appear more modular from use of UI tools, widgets, forms ect. I did plan to incorporate these things (plan to use bootstrap) but for right now I'm just generally unsure if I'm on the right track.

Sometimes I make things I really like for a moment, and then I look later with a fresh perspective and realize it's not so great. Feedback would be awesome.

PS: THIS IS NOT A FUNCTION SITE. ONLY AN IMAGE FOR DESIGN.

http://lindsayportfolio.zxq.net/portfolio.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
****just noticed when I click the link my free webhost warns that my page may have risks....
it does not, I do not recommend using zymic webhost if it scares viewers away like this****

Last edited:

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have a pretty good design going there. It's simple and clean, but not too much so. Without seeing something coded out, or seeing what the other pages would look like, it's hard to review.

The one problem I have is the way you present the technologies you work with. First, the design of them is a bit all over the place. Part of the "CRAP" principle in design is that items you want to be visually linked should look similar.

I would assume, knowing what I know that "Front End Developer" would be the heading there. However, you've broken that visual hierarchy by putting "jQuery" in larger font above it.

Once again, overall it's a good start. Let's just back up and work through some of the design fundamentals. Don't worry too much about trends just yet.

JMCDesigner

Flat colour seems to be the in-thing at the moment, so I don't you're too far out. Though, I thought at first the content you have in the box was the design, then I realised the Lindsay Nichole title is part of it. I'd consider blowing the boxed area up to full size, the image in the page would look quite nice, and have a subtle header at the top.

opensource

Look good for me. Keep it up, always inspired.
I suggest you try more adding jQurry effects, so that it would
be more exciting and fun.