New site up - What do you think?

chrishirst

Staff member
They are document URLs not "sites" as such.

What would you like me to say?

There's no "design" as such, the text reads as if it was "scraped" from twenty other unconnected URLS on twenty different subjects then "spun". Hopefully it is purely "filler" text.

If this is a "My First Website" then congratulations for uploading it, but it is not something that can be "reviewed" and commented upon or give any useful "feedback" on. Other than "Now you have some uploading practice, take it down, decide what your "online presence" is for and build your documents around that.

chrishirst

Staff member
Oh and no I'm not rude, arrogant, insulting, patronising, evil or any other the other thing that I get called when people cannot accept that what I tell them is purely and simply an honest and truthful opinion.

And for some reason, someone being honest with them seems to confuse others.

Vildt

Thank you for your honest and sincere opinion chrishirst.

Obviously I'm not as skilled and honed in the art of web design and I do not know any advanced coding. However, I'm confused as your only advice is to take my website down?

Please give some feedback regarding layout, design, fonts, what I can improve etc. Your advice is not really helping at the moment.

But please do not feel obligated to do this. Do it if you have the time and the will to help a fellow designer out! :)

As for my "online presence" is for. It is to help me advance. To put up my projects, get feedback, make new and improve myself. It's my digital playground :) I have no intentions of getting views etc.

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
Please give some feedback regarding layout, design, fonts, what I can improve etc. Your advice is not really helping at the moment.
There is NOTHING there to "review". There is no "layout", no "design" it is just a bunch of text in an HTML document, it is the kind of thing that is we have all done when first starting to learn HTML but it NEVER gets made public

I have no intentions of getting views etc
So why post in the very public, Website Review board and ask for feedback? Where search engine crawlers, feed agregators etc. will pick up the URLs and your playing work becomes public property.

It's a bit like your mother putting your first mis-shapen pottery ashtray from school on public display in the local library.

Well yes.. Honestly I have to agree with take it down, and I'll tell you why. Your presenting yourself as a web designer/developer (I think), and your basic, simple one page site kicks back with 21 html errors. This small site should have ..well… none. It is bland, basic and badly coded and by keeping it up, you’re only damaging yourself.

Vildt

There is NOTHING there to "review". There is no "layout", no "design" it is just a bunch of text in an HTML document, it is the kind of thing that is we have all done when first starting to learn HTML but it NEVER gets made public

So why post in the very public, Website Review board and ask for feedback? Where search engine crawlers, feed agregators etc. will pick up the URLs and your playing work becomes public property.

It's a bit like your mother putting your first mis-shapen pottery ashtray from school on public display in the local library.

Well now you definitely are arrogant, but enough of that.

@RAJO - Yes, it's my own work. (except for the site-logo, and the wordpress site of course)
@Brian Angel - "Your presenting yourself as a web designer/developer (I think), and your basic, simple one page site kicks back with 21 html errors"

When, and where did these errors appear? It might have been some problems with the ftp-server since I've constantly been updating files all day long.

Thanks again for your time people.

Last edited:
Well now you definitely are arrogant, but enough of that.

@RAJO - Yes, it's my own work. (except for the site-logo, and the wordpress site of course)
@Brian Angel - "Your presenting yourself as a web designer/developer (I think), and your basic, simple one page site kicks back with 21 html errors"

When, and where did these errors appear? It might have been some problems with the ftp-server since I've constantly been updating files all day long.

Thanks again for your time people.

When and where.. um here and now. And you can't blame the FTP server for no doctype, bad meta and unclosed page elements. Still as a webpage... its white, and that's about all I can say about it.

Vildt

Huh. Is it blank for you guys? It shows up just how I intended it to for me.

But I will definitely look up doctypes, thanks!

EDIT: OK, now I've put up doctypes on all html-documents.

When and where.. um here and now. And you can't blame the FTP server for no doctype, bad meta and unclosed page elements. Still as a webpage... its white, and that's about all I can say about it.

Brian Angel, can you please show me where I've missed to close elements? And also what's bad about the meta?

Thanks a lot for helping me out! :D

EDIT2: Just discovered that the compability with IE is horrible.

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as your errors are concerned, <link> should be self closing.
What you've got is an unclosed link tag with an unneeded </link>.
Then you've gone and done that a few times.
Also it's <br /> Not </br>

Chris is not being arrogant.
From the outside there is nothing to "review"
From what I can see theres a logo, a small bit of texts and a small menu.
All black on white.
No "design" at all.

jwpizzy

You shouldn't use the <br /> for spacing elements apart as much as you do. Most of the instances where you do use the <br /> can be done with margin or padding. You need to validate your site and get it 100% validated.

Design wise...you should increase the leading of your paragraphs because they are too squished together. Here is an article on creating the "Perfect" paragraph. http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/2011/11/29/the-perfect-paragraph/.

There's really no theme to your site besides it being simple and plain. If that's what your aiming for then there's plenty of simple and clean websites out there that have great design built in. Here are a few http://sixrevisions.com/design-showcase-inspiration/30-beautiful-clean-and-simple-web-designs-for-inspiration/

Vildt

You shouldn't use the <br /> for spacing elements apart as much as you do. Most of the instances where you do use the <br /> can be done with margin or padding. You need to validate your site and get it 100% validated.

Design wise...you should increase the leading of your paragraphs because they are too squished together. Here is an article on creating the "Perfect" paragraph. http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/2011/11/29/the-perfect-paragraph/.

There's really no theme to your site besides it being simple and plain. If that's what your aiming for then there's plenty of simple and clean websites out there that have great design built in. Here are a few http://sixrevisions.com/design-showcase-inspiration/30-beautiful-clean-and-simple-web-designs-for-inspiration/

Regarding the <br/>. As far as I can see, I use it to make space in between text and links. Can padding/margin be used for that? (i.e making a new paragraph)

I've looked upon the minimalistic web designs and wow. They are amazing. Are they pure HTML/CSS or is javascript involved?

Thanks for the paragraph link, I will read it through!

jwpizzy

I notice you use 2 <br /> tags to create space between your paragraphs when each of your paragraphs can be in their own <p> tag.

A better or more semantic way of creating your links on the side would be to put them in an unordered list.

I'm pretty sure most of the sites you looked at use some javascript, but they use html/css to make it look good.

I'm not sure how much knowledge you have in html/css but you should look into using the HTML5 tags such as <header>, <aside>,<section>,<nav>,<footer>,<article> to name a few...since your using the HMTL5 doctype.

JakClark

Before I accidentally post an arrogant comment, like that of those who you say already have done, could you possibly tell me which parts on the given sites you wish for feedback on?

If you'd like my honest opinion, as it stands; the document looks more like something for print, than for web.