Need a few tips on this site

shovenose

Banned
http://playitagainkids.com/
My mother's boss got some random guy to design the home pag. She then hired me, and I've added a few pages and made a few changes.

Now I've been having a few problems.
1. the picture of the baby is supposed to be to the left of the info and the map. firefox does it right, but other browsers put it above that and it looks terrible. how do I fix it?
2. She wants the area outside of the blue lines to the side filled in blue...how would I do that?

Two things:
-The original designer used old-fashioned tables so it's a big pain to work on the site
-Don't get me started on how stupid the marquee looks. She thinks it's great and no amount of arguing will convince here otherwise. So don't tell me the marquee is ugly :p

Thanks so much.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
The address and map are in a table within the table row you're working with. Try just adding them to the same row.

You might find, despite what seems like a lot of work, that if you recode the site properly, you'll actually save heaps of time in the end. It really shouldn't take more than an hour or 2 to recode, but dealing with those tables is a never-ending battle.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
agree with ronald.
also the colour scheme is miserable.
so a redesign could be in order as well.

shovenose

Banned
trust me. she is absolutely loves it the way it is. except she wants it slightly more yellowish in the background and blue bars. she also doesnt want to pay me a lot and she would rip my head off if i did anything to the site thst actually made it different.

when i put the image in i used dreamweaver. why does it only work on firefox?

DHDdirect

I'd get rid of the scrolling text and put some actual content on the main page. Write up a nice paragraph about the biz and what they sell. Content is king when it comes to search placement.

I don't mind the colors, in fact I think the header and logo look really nice but to continue on with the same colors scheme is probably a bit too much.

The formatting in general for the content is lacking and could use some structure, it's a bit all over the show.

Pheno

Hi shovenose

This should help get you started:

1. the picture of the baby is supposed to be to the left of the info and the map. firefox does it right, but other browsers put it above that and it looks terrible. how do I fix it?
Change the table around it to 100% width. Put the baby image in its own TD

2. She wants the area outside of the blue lines to the side filled in blue...how would I do that?
Give the TD containing the 'mainarea' a blue background-color. Then you'll need to re-color other fields inside back to how you want them. For example, the #mainarea css will need a background color

krymson

As you have already stated the site looks miserable. But what these guys are saying is right, If i was in your shoes i would go ahead and re-create it in css and achieve the same look and everything because in the end your client will never notice a difference and it would make your life ALOT easier, especially if your going to continue working on their site in the future and for any other developer that comes and works on it. A little hard work in the beginning will make your life easier in the end.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
trust me. she is absolutely loves it the way it is.
no offense to your mother but she aint a graphic designer.
tell her "quote unquote" from one that it looks like shit.
also from a code point of view. it really is in a bad way. and the marquee? sorry I thought it was 2011 - one glance at this site and it is dated at least 15-20 years...

its only a 4 page website, you could knock up something 2000% better in half an evening!
and for christ sake your her son! just get her to make you bloody roast dinners for a month!

shovenose

Banned
I used dreamweaver's Convert Tables to AP Divs function:
http://playitagainkids.com/index2divs.html
it failed a lot...

I'm really not gonna bother trying to get that to work.
I just need help with fixing the baby image and the blue sidebars. I'll try Pheno's suggestions.
I'm also going to redo the index page the way i think it should look, and then when we've all agreed it's great i'll ask what she thinks.

So far I'm going to:
-Ditch the marquee
-Add some text
-Organize the things
-Put the picture somewhere else
-Put the facebook think at the bottom in the corner
-Stick my name in the corner in small font

Anything else?

Last edited:

shovenose

Banned
I made a quick draft of how I think it would look good.

But maybe I should but the store picture above all the text?
Anyway...

Attachments

• PLAYITAGAINVERSION2.jpg
    PLAYITAGAINVERSION2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 25

krymson

its easier to critique if you tell them the truth than sugar coat crap... web design is a dog-eat-dog world if people wanna make it then they need to hear whats going t help them improve their service

shovenose

Banned
I seriously appreciate all the feedback. So what do you think of how it would look if I made it look like i did in the image?