Music on a freewebs?

jook

Hi, I made my own www.freewebs.com website. I personally think its very cool, since I'm only 14 and I feel that it is very very easy to use. I wanted to put songs on the pages I made, but I am only able to put .mid songs on because I need to purchace the premium version. I found out how to embed mp3 songs into my website by uploading it to my storage and typing in this html code. So now, I have a .mp3 song playing on my website that technically only allows .mid. I heard from a older adult that it was illegal to put songs on the website. But I don't get it. The .mp3 is the same as the .mid, just in a different format. Is it still illegal that I embeded my own mp3 song into my site that requires premium service for .mp3 songs on their player? If so, then could I get into big trouble? :confused:

Last edited:

StephanieCordray

unless you own the song as in on a cd, i'm pretty sure it is. If you do, i don't think it is unless it's downloadable/saveable... but don't quote me on that... i'm sure some who use music on their sites will come along and clarify.

Travo925

aslong as it is not downloadable I am sure it is fine. I did the samething but instead of .mid, I made it a seperate flash file and imbedded that... oh and yea freewebs is really good hosting if ya dont want to pay a lot or if ya want to go with the free hosting it aint bad either, check out my freewebs..
http://www.freewebs.com/travo925/ what your url?..just interested to see what others look like
-travis

ian

Administrator
Staff member
It is not clear as to what the song is, but if it is like a song out of the top 40 charts, by the original artist, then that would definitely not be allowed and would infringe copyright laws unless you got permission to use it.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup, it is illegal, as you don't have broadcasting rights to the song. even if you purchased the song, that does not give you the right to broadcast it.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
No one can answer that question, especially since the site itself seems to be shrouded in secrecy, why not just do the right thing, always so much easier.