localhost server

Konstabel

What do I need to install on my windows machine to be able to code and test websites without publishing it to the web? I have heard Xampp is supposed to work. I will have PHP and MySql scripts.

jnjc

Are you running windows ?

If so..

1) Make sure IIS is running, go to http://localhost and see if anything is displayed. If not install it, it's one of the windows components.

2) Download and install mySQL community addition. Just take defaults all the way.

3) Download and install the latest version of PHP, again take the defaults and it should configure IIS for you.

Running locally I find IIS is fine for dev/testing and it is much easier to configure than apache.

Regards,
JC

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to add to jnjc's post...

Depending on which version of Windows you are running IIS will not be available to you. IIS was only distributed with the following:

Windows NT Servers
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 and up Servers
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition (essentially Professional with the added media center)
Windows Vista Business and Ultimate Editions

IIS is not available with regular home editions of XP and Vista that ship out with most computers.

If you for some reason are still running Windows 95, 98 or ME, Microsoft used to offer a toned down version of IIS called Personal Web Server for these distributions.

If you happen to have one of the distributions of Vista or XP that don't come with IIS, you may have to look into setting up Apache or one of the 100's of other free web server applications available.

Good luck.