Like everyone else

huffsfitness

Just like everyone else here I would love to have you guys check out my new website it's hosted by webjam so one is kind of limited on the amount of 'customizing'. Things begin to look sort of modular...but with that in mind I was going for a dynamic site that would cover different sports as well as health & fitness. This is my 1st attempt at a site and would REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HONEST FEEDBACK!!
Thanks in advance, Greg
The url is: www.huffsfitness.com

adx

Well I just checked it out! My first thought was wow that's blue!
I really like blue as a site color, but don't you think it's a bit too blue?
Have you considered a more matte shade of blue? 'cause the neon blue
is kind of disconcerting in it self. And you could easily do with a better menu,
maybe with a hover effect, you know? Otherwise quite acceptable :)

suz

That is a very motivational story you have there in the right column, it makes me want to get the tae-bo tapes out.

huffsfitness

Well I just checked it out! My first thought was wow that's blue!
I really like blue as a site color, but don't you think it's a bit too blue?
Have you considered a more matte shade of blue? 'cause the neon blue
is kind of disconcerting in it self. And you could easily do with a better menu,
maybe with a hover effect, you know? Otherwise quite acceptable :)

Really appreciate all you guys taking the time to check things out, really, as far as the blue-I'll work on it! But when you say hover effect....hmmm....time for me to look at some other sites for ideas...unless you have an example I could look at-and thanks again I know it's not as sophisticated as some of the sites you guys look at-but it is what it is (what do you expect from an HTML illiterate :D

huffsfitness

Ok adx I worked on it some last night, toned down the blue background, eased up on the BRIGHT yellow text-and for now changed the color of the menu to green-actually doesn't look too bad now-but now to experiment with some hovering. Thanks for the link I'll go check it out now!

adamblan

The blue's a little easier, but in general you should try to stay away from bright backgrounds like this. If everything stands out, then nothing really stands out.
Maybe try a light shade of white/black/gray for your content's background...

inline853

for a first site this impressive. I like the layout, considering your non-designer background its very good. The blue is a bit much. I'm not a fan of (0,0,255), but everyone uses color extremitys when they first start.

Comic Sans made me laugh, my favorite font in grade school. I'm not sure if your using Paint or not, but if you want to further improve the site, google GIMP its free and almost Photoshop.

Your header is pretty bad, but thats no biggie. A website isn't 100% defined by its layout. Your content is great so it makes the site worth the occasional eyesore. I read the blog, inspiring. I'm 16 so I know what you mean about your early childhood.

some color suggestions RGB:(R,G,B)
(10,25,100)
(25,45,85)

rollover navigation would be nice

your turn to check my site out ;)

huffsfitness

for a first site this impressive. I like the layout, considering your non-designer background its very good. The blue is a bit much. I'm not a fan of (0,0,255), but everyone uses color extremitys when they first start.

Comic Sans made me laugh, my favorite font in grade school. I'm not sure if your using Paint or not, but if you want to further improve the site, google GIMP its free and almost Photoshop.

Your header is pretty bad, but thats no biggie. A website isn't 100% defined by its layout. Your content is great so it makes the site worth the occasional eyesore. I read the blog, inspiring. I'm 16 so I know what you mean about your early childhood.

some color suggestions RGB:(R,G,B)
(10,25,100)
(25,45,85)

rollover navigation would be nice

your turn to check my site out ;)

Thanks for the good and the bad. Comic Sans was intentional-it's really different, especially with some of the sites out there...Just kind of 'fit' with what I was trying to do. I have created a .gif header, but when I upload it-it runs at about 1000 mph!! No kidding, must be a webjam thing-the animations don't run at the correct speed, not even close...so I threw the current one together (for now) and posted it. When you talk about colors, I'm sorry but lost-currently I've got a blue & black header-the rest of the site is #fefce2 (offwhite, so what I just looked LOL) as background, with a touch a blue with black text...any suggestions on colors are great but I'm a website newby and don't speak 10,25,100 :)
Now on to your...just checked it out and that's great, are you sure your 16??
Good job my man, I really liked the text and the layout!

pingeyeg

The layout looks decent, but the blue background is a bit bright. The header kind of gets lost in with the background.

adx

It's starting to look really good! Was the text background always white?
It looks different, in a good way!

All I can think of now is that the Huffsfitness text is a bit big, I kind of have to
tilt my head back to read it. I've got a really small computer though :) no worries!

huffsfitness

It's starting to look really good! Was the text background always white?
It looks different, in a good way!

All I can think of now is that the Huffsfitness text is a bit big, I kind of have to
tilt my head back to read it. I've got a really small computer though :) no worries!

Thanks alot guys, the text background was that neon blue (like in the banner) with yellow text-I am working on a new banner right now, that is taking some time...thanks again!

huffsfitness

Alright, just put up a new header-man, I'm out of ideas, making a header is difficult. Guess this is what I'll have to go with until I can find someone who'd like to help me out wink, nudge...no really if you guys wouldn't mind I'd like to have you check things out 1 more time for the rookie :) See ya!

Geodun1

Ok, first impression when coming to your site:

Broken flow - Your flow (the path your eyes follow when you first see something) immediately broke for me when the page loaded. The navbar is red and just kinda sticks out into the page, ya know? This makes the page seem jagged. Then when my eyes hit that marquee I got a little aggravated (I'm a fast reader so marquee's are annoying for me).

Good practice would be to avoid marquees when designing, users are more likely to read the content if it's stationary.

Next issue: the header. I like the idea, but it's way to small to fit the page. Center it and match the background color it's on, to the primary red you're using. This will help bring it into the page and pull things together, while fixing your flow at the same time.

Next, I have issues with the color choice. I'm not a fan of that... beigeish pink color you have set as the page's background, try experimenting with contrasting colors a bit. (I don't mean bright blue and bright yellow ;) )

Next, that form will scare away people who hate filling stuff out. You might want to give it a page of its on and put a link in the place that it is now. This will still give new users easy access to creating account, and won't scare people away :)

Finally: content. Content, content, content. You'll hear that word a LOT when you practice web design. (It's something I struggle with.) Your home page isn't very organized, and presents information in a way that seems very broken and undecided, like you were thinking on your feet. Sometimes this is what you shoot for, but here you should organize things a bit and clean up your sites content in general.

If you need more suggestions, myself or one of the other members will answer promptly :)

calskin

Hopefully this isn't too old of a post to comment on.

For a first website, I think it's quite respectable. I just started attending a boot camp, and found myself quite interested in the articles posted there. There's some really neat info on it.

If you would like something to work on, the first thing I noticed was the logo was pixelated. To improve this, if you do your design at around 300 pixels per inch and then resize for the web as you desire after, it will cut this down totally.