Is there a need for graphic designers ?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
generally speaking, if you've seen the "design" work a developer does, than yes, I feel there most certainly is a place still for graphic designers.

that's not to say a developer cannot design, but more often than not, they suck.

chrishirst

Staff member
generally speaking, if you've seen the "design" work a developer does, than yes, I feel there most certainly is a place still for graphic designers.

that's not to say a developer cannot design, but more often than not, they suck.

As the aforementioned developer who's design skills are somewhat "challenged",

Ok, Ok, by "challenged" I really mean non-existent, I whole-heartedly agree with the above sentiments. :D

chrishirst

Staff member
Hi all...

I am beginning to wonder long term ( well in to the future ) if there is going to be such a demand for graphic designers in the web industry in the future ?...

CSS is developing stongly and will continue to do so in to the future , we can now add blur effects,rounded box's for example of what can be done in css and much more...

Many things that needed graphics in the past are no longer required or fading out over time due to the development of css.

So do you think graphic designers will dwindle in this field or do think there will always be a need for them ? Even if its just for layout purposes or just creating a Logo or header ?..

Sure developers can add all manner of CSS effects, fancy fonts, rounded corners etc, the problem is that developers will use them simply because they can.

The resulting layout very often features on here.

Every developer I know or have worked with do the same thing, they use "new" or "kewl" things with little or no concept of how it will affect the end product and have been as guilty as the rest on that.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
The link to that GREEN site... is some one still using that i take it...?

Lost for words.........................................,,..................

Well I would say that we (who posted in that thread) are hoping not. :D